Saturday, August 20, 2011

Zarkana Didn’t Work but The Talls Did

In the name of fair and unbiased reporting Billi Pod has to admit right off the bat - yesterday’s CIRQUE du SOLEIL: Zarkana @ Radio City Music Hall just didn’t work for him.


Why, you are no doubt breathlessly asking? Well, I am really not certain why but there were several factors. For one thing, my aisle seat in the rear orchestra was way way too far from the stage. And, yes, it was a comp. ticket and all that, but the performers on stage appeared miniscule.


Secondly, I found it highly annoying that a very large and bulky "usher" kept walking up and down my aisle during the performance pointing his flashlight-like device at people who he thought had their cell phones on.


Thirdly, I guess I just wasn’t in the mood for this kind of a show. I actually found myself yawning (yes, Billi Pod occasionally yawns in The Big Apple - please don’t tell Mayor Mike) and my mind drifting to other things. And, no way could I follow what has supposed to be the story line.


When intermission came Billi Pod was outta there. On the walk back to PHC he did feel a pang of regret that he hadn’t stayed for the second part of the show - maybe it would have been better ... oh well ... he didn't ... so ...


On a positive note, before the show I was able to briefly visit with some of my theater-buddies, including Dian, Vera, Julie, and Kim (who has just returned for an extended stay in Vegas).


Billi Pod is happy to report that his evening’s entertainment event was much much better ...


THE TALLS==>B+<==excellent acting from stellar cast. Many laughs mixed in with the drama. Lots of family stuff crammed into just 80 minutes. See it!


But, be warned==>the elevator in the building isn’t working so you have to walk up 4 flights of stairs to reach the box office and the theater. It is worth it, if you physically can do it.

More good news out of The Yankee Universe ...


Last night Phil Hughes had an outstanding outing against The Twins, going 7 2/3 innings, giving up only 1 run on 2 hits. This performance should cement his position in the 5-man rotation. The Bronx Bombers won 8-1 with 2 homers from catcher Russell Martin.


Tonight @ 7:10pm AJ Burnett aka Loser Boi will be on the mound for The Yankees. Guess I don’t need to say anything about my feelings about Loser Boi, do I? No, I didn’t think so ...


Anyway, on to other things ... like ...


Today is yet another entertainment doubleheader for Billi Pod ...


2:00==>THE PRETTY TRAP - “Before Tennessee Williams wrote one of his masterpieces, The Glass Menagerie, he wrote this one-act version. The characters are basically the same but the tone is lighter and the ending is completely unexpected.” (Off Broadway - complimentary ticket)


This show has gotten very good reviews and I am looking forward to seeing it.


And then ...


8:00==>EINSTEIN AND MILEVA - “Tells the story of acclaimed physicist, Albert Einstein, and his first wife, scientist Mileva Maric; the rise of his career, the loss of their daughter, and the effects of ambition on a seemingly infallible relationship.” (Off Broadway - $9.00 TDF ticket)


This show is in early previews and I haven’t read or heard anything about it.


Nice thing==>both shows are in a theater complex on my block.


It is a beautiful day in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World and I want to wish a Happy Weekend to all of my Worker Bee friends out there in the vast hinterlands. Have fun!!


Billi Pod will walk-and-wander between his shows, that is for certain.


GO YANKEES AND GO GATORS!!


Billi Pod

“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: