Thursday, March 3, 2011

Wednesday's Doubleheader Report Card

Burrrrrrrrr!!! 18º and windy at 8:00am this morning in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In the World. At noon it is only 25º.


Well, my loyal and faithful readers, Billi Pod has to admit, in the name of fair and unbiased reporting, that yesterday’s entertainment doubleheader wasn’t what he had expected it to be. What am I talking about you are no doubt breathlessly asking?


Let’s get right to Wednesday's doubleheader report card -


RAIN: A TRIBUTE TO BEATLES ON BROADWAY==>A<==a very very enjoyable afternoon. The audience was really into the show, from the very first song until the final encore. This was my second visit.


As I wrote in my original posting following my first visit, it is amazing how this group captures both the sound and the appearance of The Beatles, without the addition of any pre-recordings or sound augmentation. Left the theater with a smile on my face. I would see it again in a heartbeat.


Then, in the evening there was ... puke... barf ... gag ...


ARCADIA==>F<==Unfortunately, the stellar cast lead by Billy Crudup and Raul Esparza can’t save this pretentious and monumental bore, timing in at 2 hours and 45 minutes.


Hated it! The 50s lady seated to my left and the young guy seated to my right were both asleep midway into the first act. At intermission I concluded that I would prefer to gouge out my eyes with an ice pick than stay for the second act, so ... Billi Pod left, along with a steady stream of other highly disappointed theatergoers.


Bottom-line==>if you are into S & M then this is the show for you. If not, stay the f**k away.


Yes, I know, I know ... Stoppard fans are known for their inability to accept criticism, so they are probably gonna try to lynch me, but ... remember, please ... Billi Pod calls’em as he sees’em, the consequences be damned ... so ... bring it on ...

Billi Pod’s entertainment schedule for tonight is --


7:30==>NEW YORK PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA @ Avery Fisher Hall - Szymanowski’s (who??) Violin Concerto No. 1, performed by Concert Master Glenn Dicterow; and, Mahler’s Symphony No. 4. (complimentary subscriber ticket).


What is a “complimentary subscriber ticket?” If you subscribe (or renew) early you are awarded one free ticket, in basically the same seating area, for each series. I subscribe to 3 series, so I get 3 free tickets. A really good perk.


My entertainment stats for February are outstanding, particularly considering the terrible weather. I will probably post them later this afternoon.


OMG!! The view from PHC right now is just awesome and it is calling for me to get out and walk around the ‘hood, but ... it is still freezing cold and the wind is howling off of the Hudson River, so ... I guess Billi Pod will just pass.


GO GATORS AND GO YANKEES!!


Billi Pod

“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: