Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tuesday In The Big Apple

I am happy to report that last night’s concert==>DISTINGUISHED CONCERTS - SOUTHERN WINDS @ Avery Fisher Hall, was excellent. It featured very talented younger musicians from Texas and Virginia.


My seat was the best I have ever had for any performance at Avery Fisher Hall - row H, center orchestra. Wow!! Makes my series subscription seat, LL1, seem like Siberia.


Seated to my right was a Mom whose daughter was playing with the first group and to my left was a couple whose granddaughter, who is an oboist, was playing with the second group. The oboist had a brief solo and as she was playing I looked over and grandmother had tears streaming down her face. It was a very poignant moment.


As I have mentioned before, being around people who have connections with the performers adds a lot to my enjoyment of an event.


Even though these were young, nonprofessional musicians, their performance level was outstanding, making it a very enjoyable evening, especially with a comp. ticket.


Tonight will be my 3rd consecutive classical music concert --


7:30==>NEW YORK PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA @ Avery Fisher Hall - Hungarian Echoes, featuring: Haydn - Symphony No. 6; Ligeti (who?) - Piano Concerto; and, Bartok - Concerto for Orchestra. (subscription series)


You know, I can’t remember if I have ever had 3 consecutive classical music concerts on 3 consecutive days/nights. Actually, it is a nice change from what seemed like endless “dark-comedies” about dysfunctional families yelling, screaming and cussing at each other.


Actually, beginning tomorrow I will be pretty much back on my theater-going schedule and, you know an amazing thing? What, you are no doubt breathlessly asking? Well, my loyal and faithful readers, for the upcoming 14 days/nights, counting tonight - I already have something booked for 13 of them. WOW!! Only in New York, kiddies, only in New York!!


And, the countdown to the new baseball season is on. The Opening Game against Detroit will be on Thursday, March 31st and Billi Pod will be there, of course.


GO GATORS AND GO YANKEES!!


Billi Pod

“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: