Sunday, March 20, 2011

Saturday’s Doubleheader Was A Mixed Bag.

Good morning my loyal and faithful readers. It is a bright but cold day in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World==>38º @ 8:30am.


How ‘bout them Gators!! Last night we beat UCLA 73-65 and advanced to The Sweet Sixteen. The Gators (28-7) will play BYU (31-4) on Thursday in New Orleans. GO GATORS!!


In the name of fair and unbiased reporting I have to admit that I find basketball, pro or college, a difficult game to watch from beginning to end, regardless of the stakes involved. I really only like the last 5 minutes. There - I’ve said it and I feel better. Please don’t judge me.


Yesterday’s entertainment doubleheader was a mixed bag, so let’s get right to it with Billi Pod’s report cards on --

THE MOTHERF**KER WITH THE HAT==>F<==terrible!! What a major disappointment. Chris Rock sucked. The characters were individually unlikeable and after the first 10 minutes the shouting, cussing, screaming etc got extremely tiresome. I found myself hoping that Act II would end in a mass suicide involving each of the 4 main characters.


But, I didn’t stay around to see if my wish would come true because I fled the scene at intermission. Yep ... I was outta there along with a number of other disappointed theatergoers.


Also, as a 21 year member of AA I found the underlying theme of a sponsor betraying his sponsee to be extremely disturbing. I will admit that perhaps on this issue I might have been a bit too sensitive, but, none-the-less, it is how I felt at the time.


I came back to PHC and watched the rest of the Gators/UCLA game.


Happily, the evening’s entertainment event was much much better --


THREE MEN ON A HORSE==>B+<==funny and very well acted. Yes, it is dated but it remains very laugh-inducing and the audience was really into it. I left the theater with a happy smile on my face.


Today is another entertainment doubleheader --


2:00==>MASTERWORKS FESTIVAL CHORUS @ Carnegie Hall - “Performing the world premiere of Festival Te Deum, with the New York City Chamber Orchestra.” ($9.00 TDF ticket)


My $9.00 ticket will be in the second level of the upper tier, which is excellent.


After the concert I will not come back to PHC. Instead, I will spend a couple of hours at The Museum of Modern Art until it is time for my second show, which is ...


7:00==>THE DREAM OF THE BURNING BOY - “Since the sudden death of one of his favorite students, high school teacher Larry Morrow has been falling asleep at his desk and dreaming and as his dreams intensify, a shocking secret is exposed.” (Off-Broadway - complimentary ticket).


Yes, I know that it sounds pretty grim but this show has been highly recommended to me by several of my theater going friends, so ...


GO GATORS AND GO YANKEES!!


Billi Pod

“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: