Thursday, April 24, 2014

THE BIG EIGHT O


Thursday==>Yes, my loyal and faithful readers and followers out there in the hinterlands, wastelands and boondocks, yesterday your favorite blogger reached a “milestone” (at least it wasn’t a headstone) as he turned The Big Eight 0 and became ... gasp ... double gasp ... an octogenarian.

WOW!! It was a great day and I really really appreciate all of the calls, emails, posts and texts. They all meant a lot to me.

I hope you will forgive me for not posting yesterday but I just had so much stuff planned that I couldn’t find the time to sit down in front of this ‘puter and write ... sorry ...

So ... let’s bring you loyal and faithful readers and followers up-to-date ...

My birthday celebration actually began on Tuesday night with a totally AWESOME concert at Lincoln Center ...

NEW YORK PHILHARMONIC @ Avery Fisher Hall - “A Night With Gershwin and Bernstein.” - The program was:
Gershwin: Rhapsody in Blue and An American in Paris; and,
Bernstein: Candide Overture and Symphonic Dances from West Side Story. (concert - full price ticket)

Folks, this was one of the best concerts of the season and I am so glad that I gave myself this birthday present.

The house was sold-out and the audience was really into the program and we gave the orchestra a roaring standing ovation at the conclusion.

This was just what Billi Pod needed to get into the proper mindset for the upcoming Big Eight 0.

As I had previously posted my plans for April 23rd were to walk at least 8-miles in two segments, one in the morning and one after my matinee show, LES MISERABLES. So ...

At 10:15am I headed out. It wasn’t the best weather day, unfortunately, because it was very very windy, gusts up to 35mph and chilly, the low 40s. I have to admit thinking along the way that it was kinda stupid for an 80-year old to expose himself to these weather conditions just to log in some walking mileage that no one else really cares about.

Did that deter Billi Pod? Well ... you know the answer ... of course it didn’t.

I walked over to 8th Avenue and then up 8th to 82nd Street. When I got to 82nd Street I went over to 9th Avenue and then down 9th back to 42nd Street.

It was 12:20pm when I opened the door to PHC. I had recorded 5.58 miles on my trusty WeightWatchers Pedometer.

Had time for a shower and then it was time for my entertainment event, Billi Pod’s second present to self, the Broadway show ...

2:00==>LES MISERABLES - “The recently opened revival of the musical about a Frenchman who steals a loaf of bread and lives to regret it.” (Broadway - full price ticket)

Billi Pod’s report card==>A++

This is one my favorite musicals of all-time. I have seen it numerous times on Broadway and in London. This revival is totally excellent even though it doesn’t have the usual turntable set. 

Ramin Karimloo as Jean Valjean is terrific. The role of his archenemy, Javert, was played by Will Swinson’s understudy, Adam Monley, who also did a terrific job.

My full price ticket was excellent, row K in the orchestra, house left.

The house was sold-out and there were a lot of young people in the audience. The audience was very much into the show and we rewarded the cast with a well-deserved roaring standing ovation at curtain call.

Yes, I left the theater with a huge smile on my face. Dammit ... it was still windy and cold ... but ... I had some more walking to do ... so ...

Billi Pod did a walk and wander session in his Hell’s Kitchen ‘hood. Not pleasant.

When I opened the door to PHC at 5:30pm I had recorded a total of 8.13 miles, so I had reached my walking goal for The Big Eight 0.

I do have to admit to being just a bit tired. Did my best to answer as many of the emails and texts as I could, including some missed phone calls.

I had decided to stay in for the evening to watch the YANKEES/FUCKSOX game, which turned out to be the only downside for the day.

As you sports fans know, The Yankees lost 5-1 as our starting pitcher Michael Pineda was ejected in the second inning for having pine tar on his neck. How f**king dumb was that?

Oh, well ... let’s just say that The Big Eight 0 ended in a dramatic fashion.

Today I will begin the process of getting ready for my trip down to Columbia, SC, early tomorrow. I can hardly wait to see my new great-granddaughter and to finally hold Finley in my arms.

My entertainment plans for tonight are in flux. I might just stay in and watch the final game of the YANKEES/FUCKSOX series.

I want to close this somewhat belated posting by sharing with you loyal and faithful readers and followers some totally AWESOME walking stats ... so ... here they are ...

For the 12 months from April 23, 2013 through April 22, 2014, I walked a total of 1,333.63 miles (daily average 3.65 miles per day).

This amounts to a total of 2,916,649 steps.

Not bad, not bad at all, in my humble opinion ... but ...

I report - you decide.

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>8.57 miles (or, 18,742 steps)

Total mileage for 2014==>391.76 miles (average 3.47 miles per day)

GO YANKEES!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: