Tuesday, April 1, 2014

BULLETS OVER BROADWAY==>A



Tuesday==>Last night your favorite blogger here in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World, had a sudden change in his entertainment plans.

What am I talking about, I know you are all asking your inner selves? Well ... inner selves ... it went down like this ...

As you will recall from yesterday’s posting, my entertainment event for the evening was scheduled to be BROADWAY BY THE YEAR @ Town Hall, an event that I have really enjoyed in the past.

Well, around 5:00pm the Woody Allen Broadway musical BULLETS OVER BROADWAY showed up on TDF for several dates, but the only one I could possibly work in was the show for Monday night. I took a deep breath, booked it and then called a buddy and made arrangements for him to use my ticket to BROADWAY BY THE YEAR.

The show is still in previews and the advance buzz has been mixed with most of the negativity focused on Woody Allen rather than the show itself ... so ... I was eager to see it for myself ... which leads us to ...

Billi Pod’s report card on ...

8:00==>BULLETS OVER BROADWAY - “Based on the 1994 movie written by Woody Allen and Douglas McGrath, a young playwright agrees to hire the dim-witted girlfriend of a wealthy mobster in order to get his financial backing.” (Broadway - discounted TDF ticket).

When I got to my seat, which was excellent, in the side orchestra, row N, I discovered that the male lead, Zach Braff, was out for this performance. Damn.

But, I am so happy to report, his understudy, Andy Jones, was excellent and he received a roaring ovation at curtain call.

I loved everything about the show, especially Nick Cordero as the gangster Cheech, Vincent Pastore as the mob boss Nick Valenti and Marin Mazzie as the boozy diva Helen Sinclair. The rest of the cast is stellar.

The music, sets, staging and choreography are amazing and it is all brought together by excellent direction from Susan Stroman.

Yes, it is very funny and entertaining from the first scene to the last.

The house appeared to be sold-out and the audience was very much into the show and everyone around me was really enjoying what was happening on stage.

Billi Pod’s report card==>A<==see this show.

The show is still in previews, opens on April 10th, is playing at The St. James Theatre on West 44th Street, has a running time of 2:45, with intermission, and is an open run.

Yeah, I left the theatre with a big smile on my face and I am soooooooo glad I was able to book this performance.

Now ... moving on to today ...

Finally, the 2014 baseball season is underway, much to the satisfaction of baseball nuts like moi.

The Yankees will open their season on the road, playing 3 games down in Houston and then 3 games up in Toronto.

We have our home opener on Monday, April 7, with an afternoon game against The Orioles, and Billi Pod will be there as part of his partial-season-ticket package.

Unless something of a blockbuster nature shows up on one of my ticket services my plans for tonight are to remain in the warm and cozy confines of PHC for the 7:10pm game, carried on YES.

On the mound for The Bronx Bombers will be our titular ace CC Sabathia who had a very disappointing 2013 season.

It will be interesting to see what develops over the season with the new lineup and whether Derek Jeter and Mark Teixeira can return to their old pre-injury form.

PLAY BALL!!

In closing ... let me share with you loyal and faithful readers and followers a new picture of Alex, Gina and their darling Saylor. Soon baby will make four.
Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>4.10 miles (or, 8,972 steps)

Total mileage for March==>119.59 miles (average 3.86 miles per day)

Total mileage for 2014==>302.58 miles (average 3.36 miles per day)

GO GATORS & GO YANKEES!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: