Wednesday, June 27, 2012

TRIASSIC PARQ==>A+


OMFG my loyal and faithful readers and followers, last night’s performance of the new Off Broadway musical TRIASSIC PARQ at The SoHo Playhouse downtown was one of the best theater experiences Billi Pod has had, EVER! And, he is not being overly dramatic==>EVER!! 

This mind-boggling show is awarded an==>A+.


The story line: “Chaos is unleashed upon the not-so-prehistoric world when one dinosaur in a clan of females spontaneously turns male.” Now that is an interesting synopsis but the show is soooooo much more, delving into many issues such as: who "we" are, sexual identity and the importance of community and friendship.

The show IS NOT a rip-off of "Jurassic Park." It is its own story that is, at times, extremely raunchy/provocative but also very very thought-provoking.

When I picked up my ticket I noted that the seat assignment was L-2, which I interpreted as being on the aisle in the very rear of this Off Broadway venue. Well, I couldn’t have been more wrong and what a surprise it turned out to be.

What am I talking about you are no doubt breathlessly asking? Well, when I entered the theater the usher told me that my seat was on stage, stage right, and was I OK with that? Of course my inner actor persona took hold and I said yes, it was fine.

When I was seated I quickly took out my iPhone and asked one of my seatmates (or stagemates or castmates is probably better) to take my picture. There were 8 of us on each side of the stage.

Then the show began and for 85 minutes the stage is filled with dancing and singing dinosaurs. The cast is absolutely terrific and the action is virtually nonstop with choreography to die for. I was sometimes only inches away from the performers and the electricity and energy was palatable. I smiled and laughed the whole time.

On two occasions I actually interacted with a cast member, one of the dinosaurs, so you can say ... tada ... Billi Pod made his Off Broadway debut. How about that!! Oh, after the show several audiences members said they really liked my interaction and one asked if I was actually a member of the cast. How about that.

Now, in the name of fair and unbiased reporting I have to say that kids under the age of 12 shouldn’t see the show, but, trust me, teenagers are gonna love it and will want to come back.

When the show was over I was able to have a conversation with one of the show’s producers, Jack Thomas, who is a FaceBook friend. Jack is also the producer of the highly successful and long-running Off-Broadway hit FREUD’S LAST SESSION. He introduced me to several members of the creative team and that was nice.

Also ... after the show I learned that the casting had been done by another friend, Scott Wojcik, of Wojcik/Seay Casting. How about that.

The show opens tonight, Wednesday, so ... my loyal and faithful readers in the Tri-State area Billi Pod says==>SEE THIS SHOW!!

OK, I have an afternoon game out at Yankee Stadium, the final game of the 3-game series with Cleveland, with Andy Pettitte on the mound, so I will post this and then head out to The House That Greed And Ego Built.

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>4.48 miles

GO YANKEES AND GO GATORS!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: