Sunday, June 17, 2012

Most Happy Fella==>A+


A very HAPPY FATHER’S DAY to everyone out there in cyberspace.

I hope that your weekend has been awesome up to this point because I can honestly say that it has been for Billi Pod way up here in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World.


Yesterday, after doing a bit of walking and wandering during the late morning Billi Pod came back to PHC to settle in to watch game two of the YANKEES vs. NATIONALS series, with Andy Pettitte on the mound, celebrating his 40th birthday.

Andy had a good outing, going 7 innings, giving up only 2 runs on 5 hits. He left the game with the Yankees leading 3-2. Unfortunately, Boone Logan blew the save opportunity and the game went into extra innings.

When I say extra innings, I really mean E-X-T-R-A innings, like 5 of them The Yankees finally won 5-3 in 14 innings and the game lasted a mind-numbing 4 hours and 45 minutes. The winning runs came on a double from Mark Teixeira.

This was the 8th win in a row for The Bronx Bombers and at 1:35pm this afternoon they will go for their 3rd consecutive series sweep. It will be Ivan Nova (8-2) vs. Edwin Jackson (3-3).

Billi Pod had a wonderful time at his entertainment event for the evening which was MOST HAPPY FELLA, playing at the Dicapo Opera Theater located on E. 76th Street, in the Upper Eastside of Manhattan.

It had been a while since I was in this trendy Upper Eastside area so I got there a bit early so I could spend some time just walking and wandering. Man, in the name of fair and unbiased reporting I have to state that the difference between this area and my Hell’s Kitchen ‘hood is night and day. The two areas couldn’t be more different. 

Yes, I love my apartment on the 41st floor and love being so close to so many theaters and entertainment venues and having such close access to public transportation ... but ... damn ... I do miss the comfortable neighborhood feeling I had when I lived in Midtown East. Oh well ... it ain’t gonna change in the foreseeable future, so just live with it Billi Pod.

So ... let’s get back to MOST HAPPY FELLA about a May-September romance==>A+

This is a vocally stunning masterpiece performed in an intimate acoustically natural setting by a cast of extremely talented performers, headed by Michael Corvino in the lead role of Tony.

The show, with book, music and lyrics by Frank Loesser, is really an opera because there is minimal spoken dialogue. The cast is supported by a 25+ piece orchestra located in the rear of the stage. They were outstanding.

The running time is 2 hours, 30 minutes, with one intermission, and I can honestly say that I was transfixed during the whole performance.

The show had an run earlier in the year with virtually the same cast and earned a rave review from The New York Times. It is running until thru July 8th. 

Billi Pod says==>SEE IT!

When the show was over I came back to PHC to watch the final innings of the GATORS/GAMECOCKS game. A major shout out thanks to my grandson Alex aka Army Guy for the text updates.

Dammit to hell ... The Gators came unglued in the top of the 9th and ended up losing 7-3. The Gamecocks are going for their 3rd consecutive College World Series Championship - WOW!!

Anyway ... moving on some more ...

This afternoon I will stay in and watch the YANKEES/NATIONALS game and then for the evening is ... 

8:00==>NEW YORK CITY CHAMBER ORCHESTRA AND MASTERWORKS FESTIVAL CHORUS @ Avery Fisher Hall - “Selections from Handel’s Messiah and works by Haydn, Mendelssohn and Bernstein.” (complimentary ticket)

Of course I have no clue where my complimentary seat will be.

OK my loyal and faithful readers ... it is time to post this and then settle in for some baseball. I hope the rest of your weekend is excellent.

GO YANKEES AND GO GATORS!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”


No comments: