Thursday, June 7, 2012

Another Terrific Entertainment Doubleheader!!


Yesterday’s entertainment doubleheader was terrific in all aspects ... so let’s get right to it ...

My third visit to JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR, the revival of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s dramatized rock-opera version of the last 7 days in the life of Jesus of Nazareth, receives the same A as Billi Pod gave it the first time he saw it on March 5th and then again on March 14th.

The cast still exudes energy and the performers are all excellent. When I saw the show the first two times I commented that the weak link in the cast was Chilina Kennedy’s Mary Magdalene. Well, I am pleased to report that she has greatly improved and now gives a very riveting performance.

Yes, I am totally aware of the continuing negative buzz about this show but I found the afternoon to be very enjoyable and entertaining.

Remember folks, this is a rock-opera written when Sir Andrew was only 21 years old, it ain’t and never will be a “Broadway-classic” but ... and a big butt ...... it was never intended to be ... it is what it is ...

So ... if you like rock music, an energetic cast of basically young performers and provocative staging ... then see this show ... if not ... then stay the Hell away, so sayeth Billi Pod.

Another positive aspect of the afternoon was the opportunity to meet up with my theater-buddy Marty Kosarik and do a bit of catching-up.

When the show was over I came back to the apartment, had my usual fruit and cheese plate, dressed warmly and then headed out to Yankee Stadium, The House That Greed And Ego Built, for the second half of my entertainment doubleheader.

When I arrived at 161st Street in The Bronx the weather was really gloomy looking and it was very windy. Just as the game got underway it began to lightly mist but, luckily, it went away and the weather wasn’t a factor for the rest of the game, although it was chilly. 

I am still so happy with my new seat assignment, which is, as you loyal and faithful readers know, under an overhang ... meaning ... I am totally protected from bad weather.

Now about the game==>The Yankees won 4-1 with a terrific performance from Ivan Nova who went 8 innings, giving up only 1 run on 4 hits. It was actually a nail-biting pitchers duel until the Yankees broke the game open in the bottom of the 8th inning with 2 “insurance” runs.

With this win The Yankees are now in sole possession of second place in the highly competitive AL East, 1/2 game behind The Orioles, who are beginning to unravel (as expected).

Tonight will be a classic lefty pitcher’s duel with our ace CC Sabathia (7-2) against The Ray’s ace David Price (7-3).

When I got back to PHC around 10:45pm I was almost overcome with the positive feelings from such a great day/night in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World==>I AM SO F**KING LUCKY!!

Billi Pod’s entertainment event for this evening is ...

7:30==>NEW YORK PHILHARMONIC @ Avery Fisher Hall - The program is: Bach - Violin Concerto in A minor; Mozart - Violin Concerto No. 3; Mozart - Symphony No. 39; and Stravinsky - Concerto in D. (subscription series)

Yes, Billi Pod is definitely in need of a classical music fix.

It is a beautiful day and I intend to spend the afternoon walking and wandering ... so ...

GO YANKEES AND GO GATORS!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: