Sunday, June 10, 2012

BILLI POD HAS A TRIPLEHEADER!!


Good morning everyone out there in the hinterlands, boondocks and wastelands. I hope you all are having a great weekend because Billi Pod certainly is. Yes ... yesterday was an incredible day ... it was a tripleheader

Yes, my loyal and faithful readers, Billi Pod had a tripleheader that began with an afternoon show at a theater at 76th and Broadway in the Upper Westside ...



THE BAD GUYS, about five childhood buddies who reunite on a late summer afternoon, only to experience the ghosts of hidden pasts and unforeseen futures==>A-.

The story line has way too many twists and turns to be totally believable but the outstanding cast makes it a fast moving and engrossing 90 minutes.

In the remarkable cast is Raviv Ullman, who blew me away earlier in the season in RUSSIAN TRANSPORT.

Billi Pod Says==>See It!!

Oh ... another plus was running into my FaceBook friend Will MacAdam who was ushering. We did some chatting and updating.

When the show was over I walked down to the AMC Theater at Broadway and 68th for the second part of the tripleheader, which was the recently released movie ... 

MOONRISE KINGDOM - “In Wes Anderson’s charming romantic drama, two lonely 12yr-olds living on an isolated island fall in love and run away. The cynical adults in their lives (Bruce Willis, Bill Murray, Edward Norton and Francis McDormand) will either be their downfall or their salvation.”

This movie received almost universal rave reviews when it opened several weeks ago in a limited number of theaters. It has now been released for general distribution so when it shows up in your area this is a must see, trust me on this ... it is.

The cinematography is incredible and all of the actors are terrific. The running time is 1:35.

When the movie was over I had plenty of time to leisurely walk down to Columbus Circle to the Jazz at Lincoln Center complex for the third part of my tripleheader, which was ...
THE GREENVILLE WAVAIRES, the multi-award winning High School group from Greenville, Ohio==>A.

OMG!! This 25-member chorus gave an outstanding 90 minute performance of singing and dancing at a level that makes you quickly forget they are all just teenagers. OMG!!

Folks, it was non-stop action and the choreography was incredible. The energy level of this mega-talented ensemble spilled over into the full-house audience. Virtually everyone was transfixed by what was happening in front of us.

This was my first event at The Allen Room, which overlooks Central Park, and the view and scene is awesome and that added to the magic of this show.  

My friends Michael Pederson and Dennis Dohman were also in attendance and they, too, enjoyed the show about as much as I did.

Bottomline==>I am soooooo glad I booked this event.

When the show was over I left the complex with a huge smile on my face and then walked back to the apartment (a mile) while listening to the YANKEES/METS game on my trusty but now aged Walkman.

I made it back to PHC in time to watch the final two innings on the tube and as most of you loyal and faithful readers know ...

The Yankees won 4-2 on a sterling performance from Phil Hughes and homers from Mark Teixeira and Curtis Granderson.

Yes, this was the topping for my unbelievably awesome entertainment tripleheader.

When I finally crashed at the usual 2:00am I have to admit that Billi Pod was tired and a bit emotionally drained from this awesome day in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World.

What about today, you are no doubt breathlessly asking? Well ... it will go down like this ...

1:05==>YANKEES/METS @ Yankee Stadium, The House That Greed And Ego Built, with Andy Pettitte on the mound for The Bronx Bombers, going for the sweep against those woeful Mets. The weather is supposed to be awesome.

Then for this evening Billi Pod will stay in to watch ...

8:00==>ANNUAL TONY AWARDS CEREMONY, live from The Beacon Theatre in New York City, on CBS. The Host for the evening is Neil Patrick Harris.

When I get back from the ballgame I will post my Tony predictions, I promise.

GO YANKEES AND GO GATORS!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: