Thursday, June 21, 2012

A Heat Wave


It is blistering hot in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World, and it is supposed to reach 100º during the afternoon.

Yesterday the Wankies got scorched by The Braves, losing 10-5. It was ugly. Phil Hughes had his worst outing of the season giving up 4 home runs in just 4 1/3 innings.

The balls went flying out of Yankee Stadium, The House That Greed And Ego Built, as the two teams combined for 9 home runs, the most in the history of the new stadium.

While the Yanks had 4 solo homers, they still were unable to get hits in crucial situations with runners in scoring position and the major culprit was ... tada ... Alex Rodriguez. There is growing concern about his lack of power hitting ... I mean ... WTF ... that’s what he is paid big bucks over a long-term contract to do ... WTF??

The only good thing about the game==>Billi Pod wasn’t there in person.

At 5:00pm I met up with my buddies Dian Crystal aka My Lady and Marty Kosarik at the Fallopian restaurant Meskerem, located on 47th Street in my Hell’s Kitchen ‘hood.

As I posted yesterday, this was a first for Billi Pod since he had never been to a Fallopian restaurant before and thusly, had no clue what to expect food-wise. It was no problem, however, because Dian and Marty (he is a vegetarian) ordered for me and we all had the same thing ... 

The Vegetarian Combo, consisting of, I think, lentils, chickpeas, cabbage, potatoes, carrots and other veggies. You eat this stuff with your fingers after tearing off a piece of the spongy yeast-risen flatbread known as injera.

Actually, it was quite tasty and very filling and I totally enjoyed my first experience at eating Fallopian food ... even though I was told later by Marty that he had heard rumors that one of the items had been spiced by the blood of the children used to harvest the whatever it was ... I have no way of knowing whether this is true or not.

Anyway ... moving on ...  and ... hold it ... this just in ...

BREAKING NEWS==>Billi Pod has just been advised, very adamantly, by Marty that it was not Fallopian food after all but rather it was ETHIOPIAN food and we that dined at an Ethiopian restaurant. My bad!! Sorry guys!!

Moving on ... My Lady gave me an interesting gift ... a Weight Watchers Pedometer. She has been in the Weight Watchers program for about 6 months and has lost 43.4 pounds, which is awesome. Billi Pod doesn’t need to lose weight but she gave me the Pedometer so I could keep track of my daily walking stats if I wanted to ... and I do.

In fact ... I put it on when we left the restaurant. I walked up to Lincoln Center for my concert, then back from Lincoln Center to PHC and the mileage for that time frame was 3.16 miles.

So ... thank you My Lady.

Last night’s entertainment event ...

NEW YORK PHILHARMONIC @ Avery Fisher Hall, Emanuel Ax performing Mozart’s Piano Concerto No. 22 and The New York Choral Artists performing Mozart’s Mass in C minor==>AWESOME, as usual.

I was really in the mood for some classical music and this was spot-on.

As I said, when the concert was over I walked leisurely back to PHC but I have to admit that when I got back inside the apartment I was drenching in sweat.

Tonight's entertainment event is ...

8:00==>MURDER IN THE FIRST - “This courtroom drama centers around the bond that develops between a young attorney in the Public Defendant's office and the prisoner whom he defends and ultimately befriends. The show is inspired by a compelling true story of the trial that ultimately led to the closing of Alcatraz - the most notorious correctional institution in U.S. history.” (Off Broadway - complimentary ticket)

I saw this terrific show in very early previews and loved it. It got a grade of A from Billi Pod and subsequently received basically rave reviews from the critics. It closes on July 1st and I wanted to see it again because some of my theater-nut friends have said that the show has gotten even better.

Oh ... The Yankees have the day off and then begin a 3-game subway series @ Citi Field against The Mets, who are seeking revenge ala The Braves.

GO YANKEES AND GO GATORS!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: