Friday, April 1, 2011

Sometime Billi Pod Can Be Plain Dumb!!

OK, in the name of fair and unbiased reporting Billi Pod has to admit that sometimes he does “dumb” things. What am I talking about?


Well, yesterday it was majorly dumb for a soon-to-be 77 year old guy to sit through the 9 innings of freezing weather just to watch a baseball game, even though it was The Opening Game. Yes, the Yankees won 6-3 behind a stellar game offensively and defensively from center-fielder Curtis Granderson, a 3-run homer by Teixeira and 3 scoreless innings from the bullpen.


But the weather was miserable - 37º. It misted rain for the entire time and the wind was howling and I was freezing even though I had all of the proper winter gear ... with the exception of my gloves. My hands were virtually numb from the second inning on.


Now I have to admit that my heart meds make me more susceptible to cold weather, but still ...


Why didn’t I just leave at, say, the 5th inning or at least find a warmer spot somewhere in the stadium? Easy answer ... if I had done that my seat mates and buds would have given me unspeakable grief for the remainder of the season. Not joking, they would have. So Billi Pod stayed in his seat, as did they.


So, yeah ... it was dumb ... but Billi Pod was there from beginning to end in support of his Yankees ... and he feels fine today, so ...


Anyway ... on to other things, like my report card on last night’s BORN YESTERDAY==>B+<==First preview performance. This is why there had been no advance buzz on the show.


It is funny and thought provoking. Dated, yes, but also rather topical in today’s political scene. Jim Belushi is excellent as is the rest of the outstanding cast.


Billi Pods says==>see it.


Tonight’s entertainment event is ...


8:00==>NEW YORK PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA @ Avery Fisher Hall - “Prokofiev’s Overture in B; Tchaikovsky’s Symphony No. 2; and , violinist Anne-Sophie Mutter performing a new work by Gubaidulina (who??).” (subscription series complimentary ticket).


I am working on the entertainment stats for March and they are awesome. I honestly think it will be near the top for the number of entertainment events, maybe even in first place. Will probably post the info tomorrow.


BREAKING NEWS==>last night, around 12:30am, I attempted to log onto my favorite Broadway theater website, All That Chat


http://www.talkinbroadway.com/allthatchat/


I received a notification that the site had been purchased by The New York Times and that access to the site would be limited to those who where daily subscribers of The Times. Details would be emailed to us in the morning. OMFG!! Noooooooooo!!


Billi Pod went absolutely ballistic. What a “sellout” but at least I would have free access since I am a daily subscriber to The Times. But there was nothing from them in my email inbox this morning. WTF is going on thought I? I was really upset.


Well, my loyal and faithful readers, I am happy to report that it was all an April Fools Day joke. Needless-to-say, this morning the website is filled with posts from folks like me admitting that we had been 110% duped. Very very funny.


GO GATORS AND GO YANKEES!!


Billi Pod

“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: