Monday, April 18, 2011

It Was An Awesome Doubleheader!!

Yesterday was an awesome doubleheader beginning with the BIRMINGHAM SYMPHONIC WINDS from England @ Alice Tully Hall.


My seat in the recently refurbished Alice Tully Hall was excellent, 6th row orchestra, in the middle. This is a very pleasant venue with lots of leg room and good sight-lines.


As expected, the program was an eclectic blend of English and American works, ending with “Humoresque on Swanee” by Sousa, which got a roaring ovation.


Side note==>about 15 minutes into the concert the woman seated in front of me, to the left, took out her phone and began texting. An irate Billi Pod asked her to stop and she did but her 300 lb husband gave me one of those ... “I’m gonna kick your ass” ... looks. Well, thought I, this ain’t gonna be nice but it turned out not to be a problem because at intermission they rushed to the exit. Whew!


Anyway, when the concert was over, around 4:00pm, the weather was very nice, so Billi Pod decided to walk back to PHC, a distance of approximately 1 mile. It was a bit windy but no problem.


I basically just chilled until it was time to head out to Yankee Stadium for the 8:05pm YANKEE vs. RANGERS game, the rubber game of the series.


At the last minute I opted not to bring my rain gear because it was nice and clear in Manhattan. Well, dammit, it was cold, windy and nasty looking in The Bronx. Not good.


The game was a nail-biter. CC pitched well and left the game with a one run lead, which Joba promptly gave up in his one inning of relief.


There was brief but drenching rain 3 times during the game and that was very uncomfortable. But, something else was even more uncomfortable for Billi Pod.

What, you are no doubt breathlessly asking. Well, seated to my right was an obese woman whose fat arms and butt encroached on at least a third of my seat space. Not joking, one third. It was very very uncomfortable for me, so I finally asked her if she could move over a bit. She looked me directly in the face and said ... “sorry, can’t”... It was then that I noticed that seated next to her was her husband/boyfriend who looked like Jabba the Hutt. Of course she couldn’t move over. Jabba gave me one of those ... “and what’s your f**king problem” ... looks. Oooooooooops.


No way could I win this, so I left my seat and fortunately found another seat in the same section under the overhang.


Back to the game ... The Yankees finally got the go-ahead run in the bottom of the 8th and went on to win when Mo came in to close out the top of the 9th.


Was back at PHC @ midnight. Very tired but happy.


You know, folks, I don’t want to dwell too much on what happened at the stadium but I do want to observe that when I moved to the other area I also started checking out the people seated around me and walking up and down the aisle and I would estimate that at least 25% of them were obese, not overweight, but ... OBESE.


Look around you folks. Look at the kids. This is a problem that must be addressed, not ignored.


OK, now I will get off my high-horse and talk about today ...


It being a Monday, it is my usual errands day, with a bit of a twist. What? Well, after I post this I will go out to Yankee Stadium and exchange 3 tickets for games that are scheduled during my trip down to Columbia, SC, at the end of the month.

Then tonight’s entertainment event is another classical music concert ...


7:00==>DISTINGUISHED CONCERTS ORCHESTRA AND CHORUS @ Avery Fisher Hall - "The Royals Meet the Blues: Mozart’s Coronation Mass and Todd’s Mass in Blue." (complimentary ticket)


OK, time to post this and head out to The Bronx.


GO YANKEES AND GO GATORS!!


Billi Pod

“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: