Sunday, April 24, 2011

Billi Pod Did It Today - 7.7 miles!!

When I posted on my FaceBook Wall this morning I made the following observation --


“Damn it is really nice out. Why am I not doing my 77th birthday walkathon today? Ummmmmm ...”


And the more I thought about it the more Billi Pod thought that it would be dumb to miss the good weather opportunity today versus problematic forecasts for tomorrow, so ...


At around 12:15pm Billi Pod left PHC, on 42nd Street as you know, and walked over to 10th Avenue and headed North toward the Upper Westside. Yes, Billi Pod’s 7.7 Mile Birthday Walkathon was underway, one day late, but nonetheless underway.


The goal was to reach 196th Street & Broadway, 154 blocks, meaning ... tada ... 7.7 miles.


The weather was great. At the first mile I took off my sweater and stored it in my backpack. At each mile I took pictures of the street signs which I dutifully posted on my FaceBook Wall.


Well, my loyal and faithful readers, I won’t bore you with the details other than to say that the last 2 miles were pretty tough, because of the steep inclines in that part of Manhattan, something I had anticipated.

Billi Pod reached 196th Street at approximately 4:00pm, tired but very very happy.


It had taken a bit longer than I had anticipated but I had made it.


Had my picture taken and then walked back to the 1 train subway station at 191st Street.


It being Sunday I had a wait for the train, which is local, so it seemed as if the trip back took almost as long as the walk, but, of course, it didn’t.


I was in PHC at 4:45pm, tired and a bit sore. Had a nice hot bath and took a couple of Tylenols.


Then it was time to head down to Chelsea for Easter Dinner with Michael Pederson and Dennis Dohman and their friends. It was awesome. THANKS GUYS!!


I have lots of other things to write about, but, frankly, I am too tired to do it tonight, so will post this and then probably crash a bit earlier than usual.


Yes, when I count the extra walking to the subway station and then the walking connected with dinner and stuff, I calculate that this 77 year and 1 day old guy walked at least 8.5 miles today. Not bad, not bad at all ...


But I report - you decide!


GO YANKEES AND GO GATORS!!


Billi Pod

“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

1 comment: