Thursday, February 17, 2011

Billi Pod Says==>La Cage Sucked!!

I hate to start off on a negative note, but in the name of fair and unbiased reporting I have to give you loyal and faithful readers Billi Pod’s report card on yesterday’s matinee performance of LA CAGE AUX FOLLES, with the new leads of Jeffrey Tabor as Georges and Harvey Fierstein as ZaZa.


Are you ready? Here it comes==>P<==as in PUTRID. While Tabor does an adequate job, Fierstein gives one of the very W O R S T performances Billi Pod has seen in a long long time. There is nothing remotely sexy, provocative or interesting in his ZaZa and his raspy singing voice (and I am being kind when I say “singing voice”) is vomit-inducingly bad and painful to the ears.


I should have left at intermission but I didn’t. Why didn’t I? Well, I wanted to give "them" the benefit of the doubt while hoping that Act II would be better. It wasn't. At the end Billi Pod wanted to rush the stage and bitch-slap Fierstein, not joking, I did feel that way.


When it was finally over I asked several of the people seated around me what they thought of Fierstein’s performance and everyone, and I mean, everyone had a negative reaction, many profanely so


So, my loyal and faithful readers in the NYC area==>you are warned.


At the complete opposite end of the spectrum was last night’s NEW YORK PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA concert==>A<==saxophonist Branford Marsalis was brilliant!! It was a wonderful evening.


I remain puzzled by the number of empty rear orchestra seats for the Wednesday evening concerts, even though, for example, this performance was available at a substantially reduced price on TDF. I guess it just reflects the continued economic concerns even up here in The Big Apple.


Tonight’s entertainment event for Billi Pod is --


8:00==>THAT CHAMPIONSHIP SEASON - “For over two decades, four players and the coach of a high school championship basketball team have gathered every year to relive their greatest moment of glory. At this year's reunion, tensions boil over, long-held secrets bubble to the surface and lifelong bonds are shattered.” (Broadway - discounted ticket)


In the stellar cast are: Brian Cox, Jim Gaffigan, Chris Noth, Jason Patric and Kiefer Sutherland. The advance buzz is very good. Looking forward to seeing it.


Also on a happy note==>it is warmer today than it has been in a long long time and it is supposed to remain this way for several days. Ah yes ...


My longtime friend Paul Hughes, who lives in Polk County, FL (aka PFC aka Polk F**king County) will be in The Big Apple beginning today through Sunday and I look forward to meeting up with him and catching-up on things and stuff. It has been a long time since we have had some face time.

Time to close with the now highly anticipated and sometimes provocative musings ...


Musings from THE MIND OF BILLI POD (a memoir in progress):


“Being obsessive-compulsive does not excuse you for being a thoughtless asshole.”


GO GATORS AND GO YANKEES!!


Billi Pod

“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: