Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Big Apple Is Icing Over

It was super-nasty this morning and it got progressively worse as the day wore on. And it continues. F**K!!


Because of the light snow and rain and freezing temperatures I decided to leave a bit early for my 12:45pm appointment for my annual exam/physical/sit-down with my Cardiologist, Dr. Fred Feuerbach, who is also a FaceBook friend.


When I left my building the wind was whirling and it was obvious that the sidewalk was beginning to ice over. Now my loyal and faithful readers I have to report that in the 1/2 block to the corner I witnessed 3 people slip and fall and I also almost did so myself once. Luckily no one appeared to be injured.


This is insane that I. My Dr.’s office is located on the far Eastside, about 3 1/2 long East/West blocks from the subway station and I had another block to walk to the Port Authority Bus Terminal, so ... gasp ... Billi Pod hailed a cab, something most of you know he hardly ever ever does. It cost $11.00, including tip.


I was a bit early but that was no problem. I was taken back and the session began with the EKG and the resulting ripping off hair from my chest. The nurses and Fred thought the cartoon was funny.


OK, now the results. When we were through I asked Fred to write down his evaluation in terms I could understand and handwriting that I could read. This is what he wrote, verbatim --


“Doing well. Stable from cardiovascular standpoint. Chronic A-fib - no symptoms. Slightly bradycardic - lowered Digoxin dose. Overall - great!”


OK, calm down ... bradycardic means a slower than normal heart rate ... and Fred is confident that lowering one of my meds will take care of it.


Bottom line - this almost 77 year old guy is doing fine heart-wise.


When I left his office I was elated and I was faced with the decision of cab vs. subway and ... it was a no-brainer ... Billi Pod was now enrobed in a cloak of invincibility, so, of course, it was ... tada ... subway.


Made it back to PHC without any broken bones, but I have to admit that it was a lot scarier than I thought it would be and if I had it to do over it would probably be cab.


It is about 4:30 and it is still nasty out and 27ยบ.


My entertainment event for tonight is --


8:00==>COMPULSION-“Tells the story of an American Jew who is obsessed with bringing ‘The Diary of Anne Frank’ to the stage. He becomes embroiled in a bitter battle over the right(s) to adapt the diary for the stage.” (Off-Broadway - discounted TDF ticket).


This is playing at The Public Theatre downtown, so I will have a couple of blocks to walk to and from the subway stations.


Let me close this out with ...


Musings from THE MIND OF BILLI POD (a memoir in progress):


“The Grim-Reaper really has no sense of humor so don’t expect him to laugh at your jokes.”


GO GATORS AND GO YANKEES!!


Billi Pod

“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: