Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Happy New Year’s Eve - New York Philharmonic Concerts - Walking Stats


Wednesday==>Well, my loyal and faithful readers and followers, the mental countdown to the end of 2014 has begun. At 11:00am here in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World, it is 28º, wind chill 18º, with steady winds in the 11-18 mph range.

The forecast for midnight is 25º, wind chill 10º with 18 mph winds, but no snow or rain.

Will your favorite blogger brave the elements to join 1M+ of his closest friends in Times Square to witness the dropping of the New Year’s Eve Ball? Nope ... been there, done that ... multiple times.

Instead ... my plans for the evening are ...

A concert up at Lincoln Center ... 

7:30==>NEW YORK PHILHARMONIC @ Avery Fisher Hall - “New Years Eve - A Gershwin Celebration.”
(full price ticket)

The orchestra, lead by the always enjoyable Bramwell Tovey, and joined by vocalists Dianne Reeves and Norm Lewis, will perform the following works by George Gershwin:

“Strike Up the Band;” 
“Catfish Row Suite from Porgy and Bess;”
“A Foggy Day;”
“They Can't Take That Away From Me;”
“Cuban Overture;”
“Lullaby for String Orchestra;”
“Nice Work If You Can Get It;”
“Embraceable You;” and,
“S'Wonderful.”

This will be my 10th consecutive year attending this New Year’s Eve Gala. My full-price seat is excellent, in the same area as my season ticket package.

The concert has a 2-hour running time, with intermission.

When it is over I will subway back to the warm and cozy confines of my apartment, PHC, on West 42nd Street, to watch the Time’s Square festivities on my 42” flat screen TV. I will grill an Allen Brothers steak on my George Foreman grill, with grilled onions and mushrooms and a baked potato.

At midnight I will fall to my knees and thank my Higher Power, whom I choose to call God, for yet another wonderful year in this amazing life I have been so blessed by Him to live. Then, I will welcome in 2015 with my libation of choice - Fresca.

Yep==>GOODBYE 2014 - HELLO 2015!!

Moving on to your favorite bloggers report on yesterday’s activities ...

First, I am happy to report that the appointment with my eye doctor, Dina B. Weintraub, at her office on East 49th Street, went well, except for the long wait-time and then majorly dilated eyes. Dr. Weintraub was very apologetic for the hour+ long wait, explaining that the two weeks following Christmas are the busiest time of the year for eye doctors because they are dealing with mostly new and very anxious patients. I told her that it wasn’t a problem and I understood.

Yes, she was satisfied with the results of our appointment. Happily, she did not require the hated “field-of-vision” test.

It was almost 2:00pm when I left her office and it was cold and windy. My vision was majorly blurred ... so ... I opted not to walk up to 61st Street to my heart doctor’s office ... will do that next week.

Instead, I subwayed back to the apartment and watched college football (with blurry vision) for the rest of the afternoon.

After the usual fruit and cheese plate I headed uptown to Lincoln Center a bit early so I could have a walk session in the underground area of the Center.

My entertainment event for the evening was a classical music concert ...

NEW YORK PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA @ Avery Fisher Hall - The program was:

Rachmaninoff - Piano Concerto No. 1 (performed by Daniil Trifonov);
Rimsky-Korsakov - Capriccio espagnol; and,
Tchaikovsky - Symphony No. 6, “Pathetique.”

Well, my loyal and faithful readers and followers, yesterday I reported that Billi Pod was in need of a classical music fix and that this concert should fill-the-bill ... I am happy to report that it did just that, in all aspects.

This concert was conducted by Juanjo Mena, chief conductor of the BBC Philharmonic in England.

The 23-year old Russian pianist, Daniil Trifonov (yes ... it is Daniil), who looks to be 18, did a wonderful job with Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 1. 

He received a roaring ovation and rewarded us with a beautiful encore performance.

The highlight of the evening for me was Tchaikovsky’s Symphony No. 6, “Pathetique.” I really enjoy everything about this work except for its rather gloomy ending.

Yeah ... when the concert was over I left Avery Fisher Hall with a big smile on my face. It was too cold to even consider walking back to the apartment.

And ... speaking of walking ... yesterday was another outstanding day due to the walking necessary to reach my eye doctor’s office, walking at Lincoln Center, walking to and from subway stations, and apartment walking ... all of which resulted in==>6.04 miles.

Oh, yes ... this means that even if I don't walk at all today I will still meet my 2014 goal to average 4.0 miles per day. Outstanding.

OK, my loyal and faithful readers and followers ... time to post this and then settle in to watch some more college football.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!! 

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>6.04 miles (or, 13,202 steps)

Total mileage for 2014==>1,461.73 miles (average 4.01 miles per day)

GO GATORS!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: