Sunday, December 21, 2014

Still Cold - New York Philharmonic - Dark Side of the Moon


Sunday==>It is a gray and overcast day here in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World ... and ... yes ... it is also cold.

At 11:30am it is 32º, wind chill down to 25º with a rather icy breeze coming off the Hudson River. Nope ... not the kind of day your favorite blogger was hoping for ... oh well ...

Yesterday was my first out-and-about day in awhile ... 4 days to be exact ... and, as usual ... I probably did a bit too much out in the elements since the wind chill factor was in the lower 20s for the entire day/evening.

I felt really good yesterday morning so I knew that I wanted to do some major walking and I did, helped by the fact that my first concert was up at Lincoln Center and the evening’s concert was almost all the way over to 6th Avenue.

What all of this means is that when midnight rolled around and I was back in the warm and cozy confines of my apartment I had recorded 5.53 miles on my Pedometer ... yeah ... not bad ... but ... there was a price to pay ... 

My nose had started to run again and I was coughing and sneezing. Not as bad as the first of the week ... still ... 

Happily, this morning I am feeling OK ... not 100% but OK ... so ... out of an abundance of caution (damn, when have you ever seen that phrase used in relationship to Billi Pod?) I plan to remain in the apartment for this afternoon and evening, watching pro-football ...

At least, those are my plans for the moment ... so ... stay turned.

We will now move on to Billi Pod’s report cards on yesterday’s music doubleheader ... beginning with ...

NEW YORK PHILHARMONIC @ Avery Fisher Hall, a festival of holiday favorites, including “The Night Before Christmas” narrated by Mo Rocca.

This was a totally enjoyable concert that included some classical works in addition to modern and traditional holiday music. Rocca's reading of "The Night Before Christmas" was OK ... not mind-blowing ... just OK.

The final work was a Christmas Carol Sing-Along of: “Hark! The Herald Angels Sing;” “O Little Town of Bethlehem;” “Silent Night;” and, “Joy to the World.” Really nice.

My discounted TDF seat was excellent, in the orchestra, row FF, on the aisle. Perfecto!!

The house was full and there were a lot of teens and young children in attendance and they were, for the most part, very well behaved.

Yeah ... I left Avery Fisher Hall with a nice smile on my face.

After having the usual fruit and cheese plate back at the apartment it was then time for the second part of my music doubleheader ...

DARK SIDE OF THE MOON @ Town Hall, the Pink Floyd's masterpiece, “The Dark Side of The Moon,” was performed live by the cover-band Floyd Affair.

This crown jewel of the 60s rock era was performed in its entirely by the   10-member cover band that faithfully reproduced the iconic sounds of this concept album that has sold over 70-million copies worldwide.

The lighting and special effects were totally dazzling.

After the performance of the album was complete the band also played several fan-favorite songs, including “Shine On You Crazy Diamond” and “Run Like Hell.”

My complimentary ticket was super-excellent, in the orchestra, row F, on the aisle.

Unfortunately for the band, there was a pretty meager audience. I would estimate the orchestra area to have been only about 75% full and only about the first 5 rows of the balcony. I will say that those of us who were there were really into the performance/show.

Oh, I got probably a dozen favorable comments on my Pink Floyd T-shirt.

When the concert was over, around 10:30pm, it had really gotten cold and nasty out so the walk back to the apartment was pretty unpleasant. It was then that my nose started to run again, etc. Oh well ...

Anyway ... I hope you loyal and faithful readers and followers will agree that it was a pretty interesting doubleheader for your favorite blogger.

So ... you are now up-to-date ... so ...

HAVE A GREAT REST OF THE WEEKEND EVERYONE!!

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>5.53 miles (or, 12,092 steps)

Total mileage for 2014==>1,418.57 miles (average 4.01 miles per day)

GO GATORS!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: