Monday, September 1, 2014

Happy Labor Day - Kinda Weird Day - Red Eye of Love - The Wankies


Monday==>HAPPY LABOR DAY to all of my Worker Bee friends and to all of my loyal and faithful readers and followers out there in the boondocks, wilderness and wastelands.

It is a very nice morning here in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World, with azure blue skies, puffy clouds, and a light breeze coming off the Hudson River. At 10:30am the temperature is 80º.

Unfortunately, rain is forecast for the early afternoon and into the evening. Oh well ...

Now ... in the name of fair and unbiased reporting, your favorite blogger has to admit that yesterday was kinda strange. What am I talking about I know many of you are asking your inner selves? Well, inner selves ...

First of all, in the afternoon The Wankies lost a game they should have won (details below).

Then ... for some still undisclosed reason the water in my apartment building was shut down around 3:00pm. WTF?

Luckily I had several large bottles of water that I keep in storage for occasions such as this. I was able to shave and get ready for my 6:00pm show.

I headed out for my show a bit early so I could have a nice walk and wander session in the Upper Eastside.

But ... just as I got out of the subway station at 77th Street and Lexington Avenue to begin my walk and wander session, it began to heavily rain. 

Yes, I did have my umbrella but I had to spend about 30-minutes just standing under some scaffolding because the theater for my show didn’t open until 30-minutes before show time. I sent a bunch of kinda bitchy texts. Of course, just as it was time to go inside, the rain stopped.

So ... I wasn’t in the best of moods when I took my front row seat for the show ...

RED EYE OF LOVE, about a love triangle which pits Wilmer Flange, a naïve young idealist against O.O. Martinas, the proprietor of the world’s largest meat department store, for the girl they both love, Selma Chargesse, who is torn between her two loves - great wealth and idealism. Can she have both?==>B+

I found this musical (almost an opera) to be totally enjoyable despite the negative comments I had previously read on the chat boards.

Yes, the story line is unbelievable and a bit contrived but it is what it is ... a musical comedy that borders on being a farce.

There is a lot to laugh about, that is for certain.

It also deals with some troubling social issues such as the effects of war and economic depression.

The cast it totally incredible, lead by my Facebook friend Josh Grisetti in the role of Wilmer Flange and Alli Mauzey as his love interest Selma Chargesse.

The 6-person ensemble almost steals the show as they are in constant motion singing and dancing and playing multiple roles requiring super-fast costume changes.

The house was almost full and seemed to me to be really into the show.

Spoiler alert==>In response to the question “Can she have both?”==>Yes, she can.

Billi Pod says==>If you are in the mood for a well-performed musical comedy ... repeat ... comedy ... then this is a show you need to see.

The show is still in previews, it opens on September 4th, is playing at The Dicapo Opera Theatre of East 76th Street, has a running time of 2:00, with intermission, and runs through September 28th.

So ... your favorite blogger was in a much better mood when he left the theater.

The weather was fine so I decided to walk south on Lexington Avenue to the subway station at 59th Street. Man, it was only 8:00pm on a Sunday night in The Big Apple, but there was virtually no one out and about ... I mean ... no one. It really felt eerie.

Anyway ... subwayed back to the apartment and, thankfully, the water had been restored. Whew!!

Warmed up some pizza and then settled in to spend the remainder of the evening in front of the TV watching baseball.

Moving on to today ...

Well ... at the moment my entertainment plans are in flux because there ain’t ‘nuttin of interest on any of my ticket services.

The Wankies have the day off, thankfully ... so ... I will probably make myself get out of the apartment for a walk and wander session in the Upper Westside and then, maybe, a movie ... so ... stay tuned ...

On the sports scene ... briefly ... 

Yesterday afternoon The Wankies (70-65) blew a 3-run lead and ultimately lost to The Blue Jays (69-67) 4-3 in a game that turned out to be very painful to watch.

Folks, we are almost down for the count.

As I posted above, The Wankies have the day off and then tomorrow, out at Yankee Stadium, The House That Greed and Ego Built, will be the first game of a 3-game series against the loathsome and mired-in-last-place Boston FuckSox.

In closing ... August was an excellent walking month for your favorite blogger. Yes ... he was able to record 150.11 miles on his WeightWatchers Pedometer, for an average of 4.84 miles per day. Not bad for an 80yr old guy, IMHO.

HAVE A GREAT REST OF THE WEEKEND EVERYONE!! 

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>4.07 miles (or, 8,893 steps)

Total mileage for the week==>30.64 miles (average 4.38 miles per day)

Total mileage for August==>150.11 miles (average 4.84 miles per day)

Total mileage for 2014==>981.23 miles (average 4.04 miles per day)

GO YANKEES!! GO GATORS!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: