Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Weather Report/Polly and Matt Arrive/Report Card


Wednesday==>I know you loyal and faithful readers and followers are getting tired of weather reports from The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World, but ... dammit ... right now the weather is a controlling factor in what your favorite blogger plans and does.

It is 11:00am and the “projected” snow storm appears to be over and it wasn’t nearly as bad as predicted, at least here in Manhattan. Whew!!

As I posted yesterday, today Polly Mounts and her son Matthew, of West Palm Beach, FL, are scheduled to arrive for a whirlwind adventure in "The City That Doesn’t Sleep." I was more than concerned that their flights might be either delayed or canceled. Well, I am happy to report that their flight has just landed at JFK, basically on time. Whew again!!

I think it will be an adventure for them to make the trip from JFK into the City. Hopefully they will be able to score a cab.

Once they get settled into their hotel, The Marriott Marquis @ Broadway and 45th Street, I will meet up with them and we will come back to PHC so Matt, who is making his first trip to The City, can enjoy the views of my Hell’s Kitchen ‘hood from my 41st floor apartment.

At this time I am not sure what we will do next. The snow has stopped but it really nasty out, as a result of the new layer of snow and ice.

Tonight’s entertainment event will be a leisurely Welcome To The Big Apple Dinner at Joe Allen, on Restaurant Row, one of my favorite places.

I am actually writing this posting as I am awaiting a call from them ... so ... let’s move on to Billi Pod’s report card on last night’s Off Broadway show ...

LOVE AND INFORMATION, the renowned English playwright Caryl Churchill dissects our fractured, data-clogged culture by exploring a hundred characters as they try to make sense of what they find out==>B

I have to report that this show has a totally baffling message (at least to me) in its series of small scenes involving at least 100 different characters. Some of the scenes last only seconds, none last over a few minutes. The respective scenes are not interrelated to one another, insofar as I could tell.

What saved the show for me was incredible acting from the 15-person ensemble cast, plus amazing sets, staging and special effects.

Another downer was the length. It was 2-hours, without intermission, and people were really getting restless toward the end (of course, we didn’t know when it was going to end). It needs serious trimming but my gut tells me that ain’t gonna happen.

In the name of fair and unbiased reporting I have to share that my friends Michael Pederson and Dennis Dohman had mixed reactions to the show. Michael gave it an A- and Dennis a B-.

The show is playing at The Minetta Lane Theatre in The West Village, has a running time of 2:00, without intermission, and runs through March 23rd.

OK, my loyal and faithful readers and followers, time to post this and then get ready to meet up with Polly and Matt.

STAY WARM EVERYONE!!

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>3.56 miles (or, 7.790 steps)

Total mileage for 2014==>97.48 miles (average 2.79 miles per day)

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”



No comments: