Monday, February 10, 2014

The End of Polly and Matt’s Big Apple Adventure & Other Stuff Too.


Monday==>Yes, my loyal and faithful readers and followers, the week has started off with yet another freezing day here in the Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World. At 8:00am it was 21º, wind chill 12º, with azure blue skies. Burrrrrrrr!!

This posting is somewhat delayed because your favorite blogger opted to do some errands and chores in the morning, including a futile and frustrating attempt to find some Flat Rate Priority Mail envelopes. WTF?

Yeah, I went to 3 midtown post offices, 42nd Street, 38th Street and 33rd Street and nothing, nada, zilch. At each place the rather surly staff said basically the same thing: “We are still recovering from Christmas, ain’t got any, have no clue when we’ll get any ... next in line.” WTF?

I actually clocked in 2.75 miles on this really frustrating venture. Oh well ...

On a positive note ... was able to stock up on food for the rest of the week by visiting my favorite pizza place and my favorite “hot-food” place. 

Man ... talk about boring ... sorry ...

Moving on ... or whatever ...

Yesterday was the final day of Polly and Matt’s Big Apple Adventure and that consisted totally of meeting me at their hotel, The Marriott Marquis, on West 45th Street, for what I called their ...

“OK, IT’S TIME TO HEAD HOME, SO LONG, FAREWELL, AUF WEIDERSEHEN, GOODBYE”

breakfast/brunch at the The View, atop their hotel.

The food was great and, of course, the views were AWESOME. From this vantage point you can plainly see my apartment building on West 42nd Street. Why I didn’t take a picture I have no clue.

When we finished we went downstairs and split. I took this final picture of them.
I am happy to report that they made it back to warm and comfortable West Palm Beach without any problems.

While we were talking about their adventure I asked Matt if he would email me his honest thoughts about his first trip to New York City, and he did. These are his own words, without editing, from the viewpoint of a mid-40s guy making his first trip to The Big Apple ...
**********************
“There was some anxiety in my coming to New York City for the first time. Along with the usual outsider fears, I am a Florida Boy, and not versed in the ways of city folk. Imagining the crush of 9 million people was daunting. Up until a couple of years ago, I had no desire to visit.

I came in and spent the entire time in weather that was colder than anything I have ever been exposed to. Just not used to ice on the ground.

It was everything that I imagined and more! NYC was/is Magnificent! The bustle and noise of the city quickly faded to the background, like so many cicadas. The speed at which the city moves, felt like a river current, one that I could drift in or stay close to the sides, moving at my own pace, and draw in the sights, sounds, and smells.

I was not terribly hampered by the cold. I wasn't exposed overlong, and only a couple of times was it biting. The food was fantastic. 

I was able to see a play, a concert, Thirty Rock, the Empire State Building, museums of history and art, Times Square, and the 9/11 memorial. Many things, all awesome. 

All enhanced by my (family) friend, one Bill Norris. Just the right amount of tour guide and host, perfect. He made the trip awesome. 

Thank you kind sir.”
***************************
Billi Pod says==>Polly and Matt, it was great being with you guys. Come back soon.

For the afternoon I had an Off Broadway comedy ...

PHILOSOPHY FOR GANGSTERS, a clever, provocative comedy about philosophic ideas, the mafia, street gangs and messy deaths==>B+

The show is very funny, profane, well-acted and totally politically-incorrect. It is just my kinda humor.

The ensemble cast is excellent, especially Tom White as the kidnapped philosopher, Bruno Iannone as The Don and Courtney Romano as Callie the Mafia heiress.

There are numerous quick set changes and interesting video effects.

It is playing at The Theatre Row Complex on West 42nd Street, has a running time of 2:20, with intermission, and runs through March 1.

For the evening I did something that I haven’t done in a long long time and that was stay in the warm and cozy confines of PHC in front of the tube, spending the entire evening watching non-sports events.

Yes ... take a deep breath my loyal and faithful readers and followers ... an evening of non-sports related TV for your favorite blogger ... starting with “60 Minutes” and then ...

CBS's “The Night They Changed America: A Grammy Tribute to the Beatles” honoring the 50th anniversary of “The Ed Sullivan Show.”

The Beatles tribute was outstanding, the highlight being, of course, the end of the show with live  performances from Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr, individually and then together.

OK, now take another deep breath and let’s move on to today ...

Well, at the moment I have nothing scheduled for the evening but I am considering several options, including THE WOLF OF WALL STREET. Not sure I am in the mood for 3-hours of profanity, booze and drugs. We will see.

STAY WARM EVERYONE!!

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>3.18 miles (or, 6,951 steps)

Total mileage for the week==>26.17 miles (average 3.74 miles per day)

Total mileage for 2014==>117.42 miles (average 2.94 miles per day)

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: