Monday, January 6, 2014

The Strand Fire Update And More Stuff


Monday==>Up date on the fire at the high-rise apartment building, The Strand, in my ‘hood ... there was one death, Daniel McClung, 27, a playwright, who was trying to escape the fire via the stairwell. He and his recent husband, Michael Cohen, 32, were overcome by the  smoke. Cohen survived and is in stable condition at a local hospital.

As a side note ... McClung was a friend of my friend Justin Allen Pifer. So sad.

It is reported that the cause of the fire in the 20th floor apartment was a defective Christmas tree wire. The owners of the apartment were not home when the fire broke out. 43 people have been displaced due to the fire.

Apparently there was little information given to the occupants and people were torn between remaining in their apartments or walking down the flight of steps in the stairwell. When the Fireman arrived they told everyone to “stay inside.”

I have to admit that the whole thing has been whirling through my head. What would I have done up here on the 41st floor if a fire broke out on the 20th floor and there was no info from the staff? Would I have stayed in my apartment or would I have attempted to walk down the 41 flights of steps?

Honestly, I probably would have attempted to walk down to get outside the building ASAP. Yep, I am pretty certain that is what I would have done.

Oh well ... moving on ... 

Yesterday was your favorite bloggers 5th consecutive day/evening of remaining in the warm and cozy confines of PHC without attending some entertainment event.

What did I do? Well, my loyal and faithful readers and followers, I spent the time watching pro-football, first, Chargers/Bengals, won by the Chargers 27-10, and then 49ers/Packers, won by the Niners 23-20 at freezing Lambeau Field. Both games were very exciting to watch.

OK ... before you become too judgmental ... I did leave the apartment to walk over to The Port Authority Bus Terminal for a walk-around.

Now ... what about today?

Well, for the evening it will be, of course, the most important game of the college football season, the BCS Championship Game from the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California, @ 8:30pm, carried on ESPN.

As everyone knows, it will be the #1 ranked Florida State Seminoles, lead by Heisman Trophy winner Jameis Winston vs. the #2 ranked Auburn Tigers, who are in the game as a result of 2 magical wins.

The ‘Noles are favored by 10-points. 

Billi Pod’s prediction==>FSU 38; AU 27.

I will be pulling for the ‘Noles because they are from Florida and Billi Pod hates Tigers.

Moving on ...

Have you loyal and faithful readers and followers noted that I haven’t mentioned the weather? Well ... here it comes ... it is considerably "warmer" right now here in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World, 39º at 2:00pm ... but ... tonight it plummets as Arctic winds arrive, with wind chills approaching -10º. BURRRRR!!

Oh well ...

I am happy to report that tonight is the last of my theater-blight because I now have shows scheduled for Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Yes ... finally!!

So ... you are now up-to-date.

STAY WARM EVERYONE!!

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>2.42 miles (or, 5,308 steps)

Total mileage for the week==>14.42 miles (average 2.06 miles per day)

Total mileage for 2014==>8.21 miles (average 1.64 miles per day)

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”




No comments: