Saturday, January 25, 2014

Friday’s Doubleheader==>Mixed Results


Saturday==>Well, my loyal and faithful readers and followers out there in the boondocks, hinterlands and wastelands, the cold weather continues here in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World.

Yes, at 1:30pm it is somewhat “warmer” with a temperature of 28º but the wind chill brings it down to 18º and ... tada ... surprise ... surprise ... it is snowing again. The forecast is for only 1 inch but that will really make the sidewalks and crosswalks nasty and slippery.

Oh well ... gotta move on ...

I was really excited yesterday about the reading of SWING WINGS, based on Frank Loesser’s, and others, experience(s) back in WW II as Army Air Corp musicians, that was scheduled for 3:00pm over at The York Theatre on East 54th Street in the Eastside.

Getting there via subway is very easy since it is only 4 stops on the E train. I left the cozy confines of PHC a few minutes after 2:00pm, plenty of time to get there. When I got to the subway platform there was a crowd. Hum, wondered I ... what’s going on?

In their usual fashion the MTA gave no announcements of any problem(s). Now, there is an alternative to get over to the Eastside, and that is to take the Shuttle over to Grand Central and then the 6 train up to 51st Street. That entails a good bit of walking to get to the Shuttle and then in Grand Central to get to the 6 train platform, so it takes a bit longer.

Still nothing ... then as the time approached for me to make a decision regarding the alternate route there was an announcement, finally, that a signal problem downtown at Canal Street was responsible for the delay but that limited service had been restored.

Whew, I still had time but it was gonna be kinda close ... BUT ... an A train ... then another A train ... then a C train ... then another A train ... NO E TRAINS. WTF!! 

By this time the Shuttle/6 train wasn’t an option ... still no E trains.

I was screwed ... I missed the reading. Man, was I pissed off!!

I came back to PHC and sulked.

Why am I taking this time to share this overly detailed info with you loyal and faithful readers and followers? Answer ... I just needed to vent because I am still pissed off.

Anyhoo ... moving on to ...

Billi Pod’s report card on last night’s Off Broadway show ...

THE CLEARING, the story of two brothers bound together by a terrible secret they’ve been hiding from their Mother and the World for 18 years==>B<==giving it the benefit of the doubt.

It is well-acted and staged but over-long and frankly it is kinda predictable, meaning, the so-called “secret” the brothers are keeping comes as no real surprise. It just takes too long to be developed and revealed.

There is way-too-much yelling, screaming and crying. There is also a cringe-inducing nude scene involving the Mother.

I really expected to like this show a lot more. I can now understand the mixed reviews.

The show is playing at the Theatre at St. Clement's on West 46th Street in my Hell’s Kitchen ‘hood, has a running time of 1:40, without intermission, and runs through February 9th.

Yeah ... unfortunately yesterday wasn’t the doubleheader your favorite blogger was expecting. Oh well ...

Tonight’s entertainment event is a classical music concert up at Lincoln Center ...

8:00==>RIVERSIDE SYMPHONY @ Alice Tully Hall - “Shadow and Light.” The program is:

Avison - Scarlatti - Concerto Grosso No. 11;
Bach - Cantata No. 51
Takemitsu - “Death and Resurrection” (US Premiere); and,
Honegger - Symphony No. 2
(complimentary ticket)

I have seen this group perform many times and they always do a great job, so I am looking forward to the concert even though the only piece I am familiar with is the one by Bach.

Luckily the Lincoln Center venue means I will have minimal exposure to the elements getting to and from the concert. I will probably leave a bit early for the event so I can do some extra walking in the respective subway platforms. Hey ... you gotta do what you gotta do, right?

STAY WARM EVERYONE AND HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!!

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>3.19 miles (or, 6,987 steps)

Total mileage for 2014==>62.16 miles (average 2.59 miles per day)

GO BRONCOS!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”



No comments: