Thursday, November 7, 2013

WAITING FOR GODOT==>A


Thursday==>Yesterday’s entertainment doubleheader for your favorite blogger here in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World, was a mixed bag, one good and one mighty bad ... so ... let’s get started on this rather dreary and over cast day with Billi Pod’s reports cards ... starting with ... 

WAITING FOR GODOT, about two wanderers waiting by a lonely tree, to meet up with Mr. Godot, who they hope will change their lives for the better==>A

Let me say right up front that I have seen Waiting for Godot at least 7 times and each time I left the theater pondering==>WTF was that all about?

Well, in the name of fair and unbiased reporting, I must reveal to you loyal and faithful readers and followers that I had just the same feeling as I was walking out of the theater yesterday afternoon with my theater buddies Dian Crystal aka My Lady, Michael Pederson and Dennis Dohman.

But ... and a HUGE but ... the  experience was totally different this time because of the presence on stage of acting legends Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart who are totally AWESOME!! The supporting cast of Billy Crudup and Shuler Hensley is also stellar. And, the staging and set is impressive.

To add to my pleasure for the afternoon==>my comp. seat was excellent, the 3rd row of the front mezzanine, dead center ... and ... I was seated next to another theater-buddy, Mary Maggio and her charming Mother, Mary Ann.

Add all of this together and Billi Pod is comfortable in giving the show an A.

Billi Pod says==>if you love great acting, then see this show.

It is playing at the Cort Theatre (not one of my favorite venues) on West 48th Street, has a running time of 2:30, with intermission, and runs through March 2, 2014.

When the show was over My Lady and I came back to the warm and cozy confines of my apartment, aka PHC, to relax and have some pizza before our next shows. 

Dian had a show @ 7:30 at Playwrights Horizon and my show was @ 8:00 at the Theatre Row Complex, both venues on my block.

So ... that now brings us to Billi Pod’s report card on ...

EVERY DAY A VISITOR, a ‘comedy’ set in a Jewish old-age home in the Bronx where the residents are cranky and argumentative about their surroundings and each other==>C-<==giving it the benefit of the doubt.

I had really wanted to like this and went into the show knowing that it was about cranky old people, but, honestly, it was totally NOT FUNNY. It was overrun with clichés and stereotypical characters. I could feel the disappointment in the audience.

I could have fled at intermission, but I didn't, hoping that Act II would be better ... well ... it wasn’t. The only thing good about Act II was that it was shorter than the first act.

So ... Billi Pod says==>you are hereby warned!!

The show is playing at the Theatre Row Complex on West 42nd Street, has a running time of 1:40, with intermission, and runs through December 14th.

Moving on ...

Tonight’s entertainment event is a Off Broadway show ...

8:00==>EXIT 27 - “The true story of the ‘Lost Boys of Utah,’ who have been abandoned by their polygamist families.” (Off Broadway - complimentary ticket)

This show is playing at The Medicine Show Theatre on West 52nd Street, has a running time of 1:45, with intermission, opens tonight and runs through November 27th.

Let me close on a good/high note==>New York City, The Greatest City In The World, has a new Mayor, Bill de Blasio, meaning that the Bloomberg Domination is coming to an end==>FINALLY!!

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>3.37 miles (or, 7,383 steps)

Total mileage since 7/1/13==>439.48 miles (average 3.41 miles per day)

GO GATORS!!  

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”




No comments: