Saturday, November 16, 2013

Saturday’s Posting Is Kinda Different


Saturday==>I am sorry for the delay in posting today’s blog but your favorite blogger had a matinee (details below) that interfered with his responsibilities to you loyal and faithful readers and followers. Please forgive me ... and I know you will ... because ... if you don’t I’m gonna track you down and bitch slap you until you whine ... “I forgive you.”

Ooooops ... sorry about that ... it’s just that Billi Pod is a bit testy right now about what happened earlier in the day (details below, of course) and because he is more than a bit worried about the upcoming GATORS/SOUTH CAROLINA game @ 7:00pm, carried on ESPN2. 

Yes, he will be in the warm and cozy confines of PHC, in front of the TV, hoping and praying that Coach Muskrat and The Tators don’t embarrass The Gator Nation too much on national TV.

Folks, trust your favorite blogger on this==>Coach Spurrier has revenge on his mind and he is going to do everything he can to cause pain and suffering in Williams-Brice Stadium in Columbia, SC.

Oh, well ... let’s move on shall we to what went down yesterday for your favorite blogger here in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World.

In yesterday’s posting I wrote that I was considering a movie/play doubleheader ... well ... only half of that came about. I opted to pass on the movie ... so ... last night’s entertainment event was ...

PIRIRA - “As the African nation Malawi erupts in riots, American aid workers Jack and Ericka take shelter in the storage room of a struggling NGO. Half a world away, Malawian student Gilbert and his gay co-worker Chad begin another day in the back room of a Manhattan florist shop. By day's end, they discover their lives are inextricably linked across continents, language, and time.” (Off Broadway - complimentary ticket)

Billi Pod’s report card==>A-

The show is very emotional, thought-provoking and well-acted. The playwright J. Stephen Brantley is also in the cast.

The two story lines take place in the same space on stage at virtually the same time making it sometimes difficult to follow. This is my only quibble with the show/performance.

It tackles racial prejudice, homophobia, culture clashes and misguided good intentions while providing a fair amount of genuine humor along the way.

Last night was opening night and the house was full.

It is playing at the West End Theatre at The Church of St. Paul and St. Andrew on West 86th Street, has a running time of 70 minutes, without intermission, and runs through November 24th.

Billi Pod says==>if you want serious drama and good acting, then this is the show for you.

I actually got to the Upper Westside location a bit early so I could have a walk and wander session. The area couldn’t be more different from my Hell’s Kitchen ‘hood, that is for certain.

Anyway ... now about my entertainment event for today, which is the reason for the delay in this posting ...

2:00==>TAKING CARE OF BABY - “A documentary-style drama centering on Donna McAuliffe, a young mother convicted of the murder of her two infant children.” (Off Broadway - complimentary ticket)

This show is in early previews, is playing at The Manhattan Theatre Club @ City Center on West 55th Street, and runs through December 3rd.

The only problem ...

When I showed up at the theater @ 30 minutes before the curtain ... WTF? ... I wasn’t on the list. I had the confirmation email with me so I handed it to the box office attendant. He looked at it ... looked at me ... and smiled as he handed it back to me as he was saying ... “sorry, sir, but this is for tomorrow’s matinee performance ... and we are totally booked for this afternoon.”

Long story short ... I had majorly screwed up.

Man ... I was pissed off at me ... but there was nothing I could do about it ... so ... what did your favorite blogger do, I know you are all anxiously asking your inner selves?

Well, inner selves, I checked some show times on my IMBd app and ... headed up and over to West 65th Street to the Lincoln Center Theatre Complex to finally catch the Daniel Radcliffe movie ...

2:15==>KILL YOUR DARLINGS - “A murder in 1944 draws together the great poets of the generation: Allen Ginsberg (Radcliffe); Jack Kerouac (Jack Huston) and William Burroughs (Ben Foster) and it darkens their beginnings in the Beat Generation.”

Dane DeHaan gives an award-winning performance as Lucien Carr, who is stalked by David Kammerer, played by Michael C. Hall.

Folks, if you like great acting, with an involving story line and outstanding filming, then this is the show for you.

Billi Pod’s report card==>A.

When it was over I walked back to the apartment and as of 5:30pm I have already clocked 4.42 miles on my trusty WeightWatchers Pedometer.

Yes, I am still pissed off at self because of the screw up. The event that I had booked for the afternoon was a show at the Theatre Row Complex on my block called THE PREACHER AND THE SHRINK. Oh, well ... it should show up again on my services.

I will, of course, show up tomorrow for the 2:30pm matinee performance of TAKING CARE OF BABY.

OK ... gotta post this and then fix my usual fruit and cheese plate and get ready for the ass-beating in Columbia.

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>4.28 miles (or, 9,355 steps)

Total mileage since 7/1/13==>469.73 miles (average 3.40 miles per day)

GO GATORS==>FIRE COACH MUSKRAT!!!!! 

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”




No comments: