Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Monday’s Doubleheader==>B+ and Meh.


Tuesday==>Good early afternoon to all of my loyal and faithful readers and followers. Yes, it is another gray and cold day here in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World. 

The bad news==>its gonna get even colder and nastier for the next several days, with the possibility that the Thanksgiving Day Parade will be adversely affected. Oh well ... ain’t nothing I/we can do about it ... so ... let’s move on to ...

Billi Pod’s report cards on yesterday’s third consecutive entertainment doubleheader ... first ...

A CHRISTMAS CAROL, a spirited new adaptation of the beloved Dickens’s classic==>B+

It is very well performed and creatively staged. Broadway veteran Peter Bradbury does an excellent job as the unlikeable Ebenezer Scrooge.

The remaining 4 performers play multiple roles including playing period musical instruments and singing.

In the name of fair and unbiased reporting I have to admit that I would have probably given it a higher grade if I had been in a holiday/festive mood.

Billi Pod says==>it is very worth seeing.

This show is playing at The Theatre at Saint Clements on West 46th Street, has a running time of 1:30, without intermission, and runs through January 4th.

When the show was over I came back to the warm and cozy confines of PHC for my usual pre-theater fruit and cheese plate and then it was time to head up and over to 57th Street for my Carnegie Hall concert ...

THE THIRD ANNUAL CHRISTMAS IN NEW YORK CONCERT @ Carnegie Hall - Featuring the world premiere of The Songs of Christmas==>MEH

The picture is the 225-member American Festival Choir, consisting of 8 choirs from thoughout the United States.

I really wanted to like this concert better but the blaring synthesized background music in each of the 23 numbers got old very fast. I was in the center of the 3rd upper level (called The Dress Circle) and at times the sound level was screechingly loud and unpleasant. I can just imagine how it was in the lower levels.

After awhile it began to feel like I was at a  service at one of those mega-churches.

The house was almost full but after intermission it appeared as if about 1/3 of the seats were empty.

I considered leaving at intermission but I didn’t, hoping it would get better ... but it unfortunately didn’t.

On a positive note I can say that I was impressed with The American Festival Choir and most of the performances by singer Charles Billingsley. I didn't care for the other singer Marcia Ware.

Moving on to today ...

Since I had my third consecutive doubleheader yesterday I didn’t get my usual errands and chores done ... so ... we need to move on ... with ... tonight’s entertainment event ...

7:30==>NEW YORK PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA @ Avery Fisher Hall - The program is:
Mozart - Symphony No. 39
Mozart - Symphony No. 41, Jupiter
Britten - Symphony for Tenor, Horn, and Strings.
(season subscription series)

Really looking forward to this concert.

Oh ... in response to several emails and texts ... yes ... your favorite blogger has plans for Thanksgiving ... around 1:00pm on Thursday I will head uptown to West 72nd Street for Thanksgiving Dinner with some of my AA buddies. This will be the 5th consecutive year we have been together for this festive event. Really looking forward to it. A few more details later ...

Now ... gotta do stuff ... so ...

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>3.70 miles (or, 8,091 steps)

Total mileage since 7/1/13==>507.94 miles (average 3.43 miles per day)

GO GATORS==>FIRE COACH MUSKRAT!!!!! 

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”




No comments: