Friday, November 22, 2013

I Remember Friday, November 22, 1963.



Friday==>Your favorite blogger wants to begin today’s blog with a recognition of the world-changing events that occurred 50 years ago today in Dallas, Texas ... here are my recollections of that date ...

On Friday, November 22, 1963, at the age of 29, I was in my final semester of law school at the University of Florida, in Gainesville. I was also working for attorney Selig Golden, part-time, of course. I had just married Donna West.

On this infamous day I was in Selig’s law library doing some research when he came in and told me what had happened in Dallas. He said he was closing the office and I could go home.

I was really upset because I was an avid JFK supporter and fan.

Donna and I had planned a small dinner party that evening in our small apartment and I had been assigned the task to drive down to the liquor store at the county line to pick up some booze. Alachua County was a “dry” county at that time.

I drove down while listening to the radio about the breaking news from Dallas. Picked up the booze and headed back to Gainesville. 

When the news of JFK’s death was announced I pulled the car over to the grassy roadside. I noticed that a number of cars ahead of me did the same thing.

I cried and I am not ashamed to admit it.

I know Donna and I had our dinner party that night with friends but, frankly, I have no recollection of who was there with us and/or any details.

I know that it was 50 years ago but in many ways it feels as if it was yesterday. We must never forget!!

But ... we must also move on ... so ... here comes Billi Pod’s report cards on yesterday's entertainment doubleheader ... first ... 

THE RADIO CITY CHRISTMAS SPECTACULAR, with Santa, the Nutcracker, the wondrous Rockettes, and the unforgettable Living Nativity scene==>TOTALLY ENJOYABLE

Yes, I have to admit to having serious misgiving about attending this Christmas event before we have celebrated Thanksgiving, but ... it was so well produced and performed that the negative feelings quickly went away.

The highlights for me were the production numbers featuring The Rockettes. Folks ... they were totally AWESOME, especially their performance of “The Twelve Days of Christmas.”

There are also two 3-D presentations that are breathtaking.

My comp. seat was excellent, in the middle of the orchestra about halfway back from the stage. The house appeared to be about 3/4 full.

No doubt about it, I left Radio City Music Hall with a big smile on my face.

The weather was acceptable, so I walked back to the warm and cozy confines of PHC, had the usual pre-theater snack, a fruit and cheese plate, and then it was time to head out to the second half of my entertainment doubleheader, the Off Broadway show ...

TOWARDS THE MOON, a musical tale that follows Bobby, who wants to leave the small town of Greenock, Scotland, and become a great writer==>B

There is a very talented cast, especially Liam Nelligan as the troubled and conflicted Bobby. 

Even though the show originates in Scotland, only one character, Bobby’s mum, has a Scottish accent. The rest of the cast have totally American accents.

The story line is, frankly, pretty predictable and there is a lot, and I mean, a lot of yelling and screaming, especially from Bobby.

Another quibble .. even though the show is performed in the very small Theater C space, seating about 50, all of the characters are miked and that makes no sense at all. It was a major distraction for me since we were seated so close to the performers.

A major plus is the music and lyrics.

Billi Pod says==>it is worth seeing.

This show is playing at Theatre C at the 59E59 Theatre Complex (one of my favorite venues), has a running time of 1:30, without intermission, and runs through December 1

Moving on ...

Tonight’s entertainment event is an Off Broadway show ...

8:00==>AND AWAY WE GO - “In this Terrence McNally world premiere, the characters time travel from backstage in ancient Athens to a rehearsal at London's Globe Theatre. Then they travel from Versailles's Royal Theater to the first reading of a new play by Chekhov--with an unlikely stop in Coral Gables and the American premiere of 'Waiting for Godot' along the way.” (Off Broadway - complimentary ticket)

This show is playing at The Pearl Theatre on West 42nd Street, a block and a half from my apartment, has a running time of 1:40, without intermission, and runs through December 15th.

I will close this posting with a major shout out to the University of Central Florida (my son Bill III aka The Bill is a UCF alum) for delivering a major ass-whipping to Rutgers last night, winning 41-17 for a 9-1 record, 6-0 in the AAC.

UCF is on the road to scoring an invite to a BCS bowl game.

Oh ... and ... thankfully ... the A-Rod arbitration hearing ended yesterday and a decision is expected before Christmas.

Yesterday was also an excellent walking day ...

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>5.38  miles (or, 11,761 steps)

Total mileage since 7/1/13==>493.90 miles (average 3.43 miles per day)

GO GATORS==>FIRE COACH MUSKRAT!!!!! 

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”


No comments: