Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Tom Hanks and LUCKY GUY for Tonight


Tuesday==>It is a gray and overcast day here in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World, with a temperature of 77º @ noon. 

It is also kinda breezy with intermittent rain showers forecast for the remainder of the day.

I didn’t complete my errands and chores list yesterday, so ... need to make this somewhat shorter and then get back to work ...

At the time of yesterday’s blog posting I reported to you loyal and faithful readers and followers that I had not scheduled an entertainment event for the evening but was considering several options, including seeing the Owen Wilson/Vince Vaughn movie THE INTERNSHIP.

Well, around 5:00pm I was contacted by a friend who said he had a comp. ticket to an Off Broadway show and would I be interested. I immediately said yes, so the evening’s entertainment was scheduled.

The Off Broadway show was ...

8:00==>TENNESSEE WILLIAMS’ TWO-CHARACTER PLAY - “Reality and fantasy are interwoven with terrifying power as two actors on tour – brother and sister – find themselves deserted by their troupe. Faced by an audience expecting a performance, they enact The Two-Character Play.” (Off Broadway - free ticket)

The cast is the incredible Tony Award winner Amanda Plummer and Academy Award nominee Brad Dourif and it is playing at The New World Stages on West 50th Street.

My seat was excellent, row C in the orchestra, 4 seats from the aisle. The house was full.

Now comes the difficult part ... my friend has a connection to the show but ... I also have an obligation to my loyal and faithful readers and followers to adhere to my mantra of fair and unbiased reporting ... so ...

Billi Pod’s report card==>C+

This play has a totally incomprehensible story line. It is certainly understandable why it is rarely performed.

This production is saved by incredible acting from Amanda Plummer and  Brad Dourif. The chemistry between these two veteran actors is amazing.

A lot of people left at intermission but, of course, I remained. I am happy to report that Act II was much much better than Act I.

The show is playing at New World Stages on West 50th Street, has a running time of 1:45, with an intermission, and runs through September 1.

When I left the theater I was happy to discover that, finally, the Yankee bats had become productive and we were beating-up on The Twins, winning 10-4 to break a 5-game losing streak.

Tonight @ 8:10pm is game 2 of the 4-game series. On the mound for the Yankees will be Phil Hughes (3-7) vs. Samuel Deduno (4-2) for The Twins.

BREAKING NEWS==>A-ROD will start his first rehab game tonight with the Single-A Charleston RiverDogs. Oh the drama!!

Moving on ...

Billi Pod’s entertainment event for this evening will be a Broadway show ... 

7:00==>LUCKY GUY - “Nora Ephron’s elegy and valentine to the rough-and-tumble of big-city newsrooms and scoop-hungry reporters stars Tom Hanks as the real-life tabloid columnist Michael McAlary.” (Broadway - full price ticket)

This well-reviewed drama closes its limited run on Wednesday. It has a running time of 2:00, with intermission.

I am sooooooooo glad I was finally able to score a ticket for this before it closes. It has been at 100% capacity during most of its run.

In closing ... I know you loyal and faithful readers and followers have been anxiously awaiting the announcement of Billi Pod’s next walking challenge (in addition to his previously announced “Bridge Walk” adventure) ... so ... here it is ...

For the next year, beginning July 1, 2013, I will attempt to walk an average of at least 5.0 miles per day, or a total for the 12-months of at least 1,825.00 miles, all recorded, of course, on my WeightWatchers Pedometer.

So ... there you have it.

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>3.08 miles (or, 6,745 steps)

Total mileage since 7/1/13==>3.08 miles (average 3.08 miles per day)

GO YANKEES!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: