Thursday, March 14, 2013

Yesterday’s Doubleheader==>PERFECT!!


Thursday==>Good morning to all of my loyal and faithful readers and followers out there in the boondocks, wastelands and hinterlands.

Your favorite blogger is happy to report that yesterday’s entertainment doubleheader was PERFECT, just what Billi Pod was in the mood for ... something light and funny and then something heavy and serious.

So ... why don’t we get this posting started with Billi Pod’s report cards on each of the events ... starting with ...

STRIKE UP THE BAND, the 1927 musical that satirizes America's taste for war when America invades Switzerland in order to settle a dispute over the price of cheese==>A

This was totally enjoyable, funny and well-performed. Yes, some of the humor was very dated (well ... it was written in 1927) but that didn’t detract from the overall positive aspects of the show. The Gershwin brothers did a fine job on the music and lyrics.

Yep, I left the theater with a smile on my face.

The show is part of the Musicals Tonight Series and runs through March 24th.

Billi Pod says==>see it if you can.

The second part of my doubleheader was a classical music concert ...

NEW YORK PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA @ Avery Fisher Hall, performing Bach’s Mass in B Minor==>A

It was massively magnificent, clocking in  @ 2-hours, 30-minutes, with an intermission. The soloists and the New York Choral Artists Chorus were stellar.

I have a quibble about some performances at Avery Fisher Hall and that is the lack of subtitles when works, such as this, are in a foreign language (Latin). Yes, they do provide a translation in the PlayBill ... but ... the house is so dark during the performance that you can’t make out the writing. Oh well ... don’t think this is gonna change.

In the name of fair and unbiased reporting, Billi Pod must share with you loyal and faithful readers and followers a rather AWKWARD experience that happened during the final 10-minutes of the performance. What am I talking about I know you are all anxiously asking your inner selves???

Well ... selves ... it went down like this ... seated on either side of me were two rather large women who were each approximately my age. During the first half of the performance they both kept dozing off and then waking up ... dozing off and then waking up. This continued into the second half of the program.

As the performance was reaching its climax I was totally focused on the stage. Then ... WTF?? ... I felt something on my left shoulder ... WTF?? ... it was the women to my left ... she had fallen asleep and was resting her head against my shoulder. WTF?? ... then ... OMFG!! ... I felt something against my right shoulder ... and ... OMFG!! ... it was the woman to my right. She was asleep too. OMFG!!

Yes, my loyal and faithful readers and followers ... there I was with two elderly woman asleep on my shoulders. What to do? I mean ... really ... what was I to do? AWKWARD!! Well ... I took a deep breath and remained focused on the stage, letting the women stay asleep for the approximately 10-minutes remaining on the program.

The roaring applause at the end of the performance woke them up and they both seemed to be totally unaware of what they had just done.

As I was leaving my seat I made eye contact with the two couples seated immediately behind me and they were silently laughing and smiling at me.

Well ... I hope this never ever happens again.

Moving on ... 

Tonight John Scott Reed aka Fabson and Bernard Lam will come to PHC for some much needed face time and catching up. Then we will have dinner someplace in my Hell’s Kitchen ‘hood.

Oh, my sit-down with the leasing agent was postponed until this afternoon. So ... stay tuned ...

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>2.75 miles (or, 6,009 steps)

Total mileage since 7/1/12==>1,233.99 miles

GO GATORS AND GO YANKEES!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: