Sunday, March 3, 2013

WELL-STRUNG: THE SINGING STRING QUARTET==>A+


Sunday==>another cold day here in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World, a frigid 28º @ 9:30am. It is supposed to warm up to 43º later in the day ... whoopee!!

Yesterday was the second of my three back-to-back-to-back entertainment doubleheaders and ... I know I use this word much too often ... but ... it was simply AWESOME, which I hope you loyal and faithful readers and followers will agree when you finish reading all of this posting.

The first event was a drama playing downtown at The Barrow Street Theatre in The West Village ...

HIT THE WALL, about a group of unlikely revolutionaries who are thrust onto the front-line of history during the early morning hours of June 28, 1969, when a routine police raid on The Stonewall Inn, a popular underground gay bar in Greenwich Village, erupts into a full-scale riot==>A

This intense drama was brought to life by incredible performances from a multi-talented ensemble cast. It was passionate, alive and deadly serious.

The staging and athleticism of the young cast was breathtaking. The 80 minute running time flew by. When it was over I felt emotionally drained, not joking ... I really did.

My theater-buddy Dian Crystal aka My Lady was there with her friend Josie (Dian on left, Josie on right) and they both gave the show an A.

The show is scheduled to run through July 7th, so you will have plenty of time to see it, and no excuses are acceptable if you don’t.

When the show was over I dragged my emotionally drained self back to the warm and cozy confines of PHC and had the usual fruit and cheese plate. Then it was time to head out to the Upper Westside for my second entertainment event.

My second event was a concert ...

WELL-STRUNG: THE SINGING STRING QUARTET, the all-male quartet  performs works by Mozart, Vivaldi, Rihanna, Adele, Lady Gaga, and more==>A+

OMFG!! What an enjoyable 70 minutes. These are 4 highly-talented classical musicians (from left to right):

Chris Marchant (Second Violinist & founding member)
Edmund Bagnell (First Violinist)
Daniel Shevlin (Cellist)
Trevor Wadleigh (Violist)

who also sing and are very nice-on-the-eye, too. 

You can feel the positive chemistry between them on stage and then as the evening progresses, between them and the sold-out highly enthusiastic audience.

During the evening they each tell short stories about their history, family and musical training. Very enlightening.

Folks, it was one of nicest entertainment experiences I have had in a long-long time and I urge you to see them if you possibly can.

They are playing at the Marjorie S. Deane Little Theatre @10 West 64th Street, which is a very pleasant venue.

The remaining performances are: March 7, 8, 9 & 14, 15, 16. The March 7 and 14 performances are currently listed on TDF.

Billi Pod says==>SEE THEM!!

Moving on ...

Today is my final weekend doubleheader ... beginning with ...

3:00==>MUSICAL OLYMPUS FESTIVAL CONCERT @ Carnegie Hall (Zankel Hall) - The program is works by: Chopin, Stravinsky, Gershwin, Barber, Puccini, Gounod, and Tchaikovsky. (concert - complimentary ticket)

This is playing at the Zankel Hall, the smaller auditorium at Carnegie Hall. This will be my first time at this venue.

When the concert is over I will subway downtown to the Public Theatre on Lafayette Street for my second entertainment event ...

7:00==>NEVA - “Anton Chekhov’s widow rehearses ‘The Cherry Orchard’ amid the growing unrest in 1905 Russia, that will become known as Bloody Sunday.” (Off Broadway - complimentary ticket)

So ... there you have it my loyal and faithful readers and followers ... I hope you agree with Billi Pod’s use of the word AWESOME!!

I HOPE EVERYONE HAS AN AWESOME REST OF THE WEEKEND!!

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>4.28 miles (or, 9,359 steps)

Total mileage since 7/1/12==>1,195.41 miles

GO GATORS AND GO YANKEES!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”


No comments: