Monday, March 18, 2013

My Classical Music Doubleheader Was Excellent


Monday==>good morning to all of my loyal and faithful readers and followers out there in the morass known as cyberspace. I hope that each and everyone had an AWESOME weekend with friends, family and/or whatevers because your favorite blogger certainly did ... so ...

Let’s get the week started with his report card/observations on yesterday’s classical music doubleheader, starting with ... 

AMERICAN SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA @ Carnegie Hall - “The Vampire - An opera about a vampire who must murder 3 virgins in order to stay alive.”==>A

I have to admit having serious misgivings about this event, up to the moment the stellar orchestra began playing the overture. Then ... WOW ... what a great performance by the American Symphony Orchestra, the Collegiate Chorale Singers and the 8 soloists.

As you know, Carnegie Hall does not have subtitles but that wasn’t a problem because there was a complete translated libretto (90% in German) in the PlayBill and it was readable even in the dimmed house lights.

My comp. seat was excellent, side orchestra, 18 rows from the stage. Perfect for this venue.

The concert was 3-hours, with one intermission. 

When it was over I found a place for a cup of coffee and something sweet and then leisurely walked over to Lincoln Center for my second classical music entertainment event ... 

DISTINGUISHED CONCERTS @ Avery Fisher Hall - “Splashes of Gold, the celebration of choral and instrumental works by Whitacre, Hosay and Holsinger, performed by Lee’s Summit Regional Orchestra and Choir.”==>A

Folks, this was a totally enjoyable experience, performed by a combination of bands, string orchestras and choral groups from high schools in Lee’s Summit, Missouri. Yeah, that’s right, high school age performers. They were terrific!!

Again, my comp. seat was excellent, in the prime orchestra level, 10 rows from the stage. Perfect.

Avery Fisher Hall was only about 50% full but the audience was really into the performances and the performers. For me the highlight of the evening was Paul Simon’s “Bridge Over Troubled Water” performed by the combined concert choirs.

Yes, I am happy to report that Billi Pod left the concert with a huge smile on his face.

Oh ... in the name of fair and unbiased reporting I have to mention one downer for yesterday==>My Gators inexplicable loss (66-63) to Ole Miss in the SEC Tournament Championship Game. We had a comfortable 12-point lead at the half and then just blew it. HOW???

Oh, well ... let’s move on to today ...

Today’s entertainment event will be a staged reading, part of the 7&7 Reading Series @ Manhattan Theatre Club ...

7:00==>THE MORNING THE SUN FELL DOWN - “Brandon returns home to get his mother’s engagement ring so he can propose to his girlfriend and move on with his life. But there is a massive hole in the ceiling and a rift in his family that threatens to draw him right back in.” (Off Broadway - free ticket)

I will be attending this staged reading as a guest of my theater-buddy Dian Crystal aka My Lady.

As most of you loyal and faithful readers and followers know ... today marks my 23rd year of sobriety and I posted about it earlier today. 

One of my so-called “traditions” is to attend an AA “Beginners Meeting” on my AA birthday, so ... it is time to post this and then head over to the CitiCorp building for my meeting ...

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>4.02 miles (or, 8,788 steps)

Total mileage for week==>20.51 miles (average 2.93 miles per day)

Total mileage since 7/1/12==>1,246.22 miles (average 4.79 miles per day)

GO GATORS AND GO YANKEES!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the great review of the performance by Lee's Summit High Schools. My daughter is one of the oboe players in the band and it was great to let her read a review of their performance!!