Thursday, April 24, 2008

Wednesday Was An Awesome Birthday Day

For this momentous occasion for moi the Gods decreed a beautiful day in The Big Apple and I was able to totally take advantage of it from the time I got up around 8:30am until I crashed at 2:30am on Thursday morning.

First, I want to thank everyone who took the time to call, send eCards, email and text messages. Your thoughts and comments made this an unusually special day for me. Yes, even thanks to Evan at redsox4ever@gmail.com who took the time to write: “... yo, bro, even yanktards get to live long, sometimes ...” whatever in the hell that means. Anyway, thanks again everyone.

I have to admit that I do, in truth and fact, suffer from the Peter Pan Syndrome and have all of my life. What, some of you may ask, is the Peter Pan Syndrome? Well, this is from my web research:

“Peter Pan Syndrome is a deep-seated belief that one will never, and must never, grow up. It is named after the legendary character of the same name who lived in Neverland, a place where kids are immune to aging.”

and,

“Peter Pan Syndrome is the expression commonly used to describe certain people, usually of high intelligence, who cannot face the outside adult world, and who, despite physical evidence of the contrary, keep seeing themselves as children, emotionally and socially. In short: "they don't want to grow up", and want to stay in Neverland for the rest of their life.”

OH YES, THAT BE ME!!!!

Anyway, my matinee show was at 2:00 down at the Cherry Lane Theater in the Village. I left a little earlier than usual so I could walk around for a bit. I walked over to the famous John’s Pizza on Bleecker -- “John's Pizzeria was established in 1929. It is located on Bleecker Street, in the heart of Greenwich Village. John's Pizza has consistently been voted "The Best in New York City. Pizza available in small and large sizes only — No Slices.” -- so I could say hi to Ben Sears, but he wasn’t there because his shift didn’t start until 4:00.

I guess I wandered around for about an hour and then went to the show, Edward Albee’s two one-acts called The American Dream and The Sandbox, and both were typical Albee, meaning you spend a lot of your time trying to figure out just what the fuck he is talking about. The acting, however, was excellent and I am glad I saw it.

When the show was over i considered walking back to the apartment but since I had another show at 7:30 I opted to take the subway.

More calls and messages. Had a nice fruit and cheese plate, all fresh - pineapple, a whole pear, strawberries, red seedless grapes with brie and smoked cheddar on reduced-fat Wheat Thins. A nice snack.

Again I left a bit early for my New York Philharmonic Concert at Lincoln Center so I could take advantage of the awesome weather. I took the subways up to Columbus Circle. Walked from Columbus Circle up to Lincoln Center, stopping along the way to pick up a cup of coffee to drink while sitting in the Lincoln Center Plaza to enjoy one of my favorite things - people watching.

The concert was part of my subscription series so my seat was in the usual section, rear orchestra, house left. I have previously described the program and I have to say that it was terrific and the Philharmonic sounded great.

The concert was over at 9:30 so I decided to walk back to the apartment, a distance of about 2 1/2 miles. It felt so good to be in the balmy breezes coming out of Central Park. I listened to the Yankees/White Sox game on my Walkman and Mussina had his best outing in a while.

When I got back to the apartment I had several messages. I watched the rest of the Yankees game (they won 6-4), grilled an Omaha steak to go with a baked potato and a large glass of Fresca.

After dinner, which was excellent, I went online and was able to score tickets to two shows for Saturday. I had mentioned about my granddaughter, Gina, being in town Saturday and Sunday and my plans to be a tour guide. My services will not be required on Saturday, so this is what my new Saturday schedule will be:

2:00 - Little Flower of East Orange (Off-Broadway) - “LAByrinth Theater Company and The Public Theater join forces to reunite the acclaimed writer/director team behind such groundbreaking urban dramas as The Last Days of Judas Iscariot and Jesus Hopped the 'A' Train. Playwright Stephen Adly Guirgis and Director Philip Seymour Hoffman bring us their latest collaboration, an inter-generational ghost story set in a charity hospital in The Bronx.” The show has gotten very good reviews. Discounted ticket from TDF

8:00 - A Catered Affair (Broadway) - “Nominated for a 2008 Outer Critics Circle Award for Outstanding New Broadway Musical, A CATERED AFFAIR is a tender musical comedy about a '50s Bronx mother's efforts to give her only daughter the elaborate wedding she never had - and the bride never asked for. Based on a Paddy Chayefsky TV film and movie, this musical is written by and co-stars Harvey Fierstein, the Tony Award-winning author of Torch Song Trilogy and La Cage aux Folles, with a score by John Bucchino. The cast also features Faith Prince, who was also nominated as Outstanding Actress in a Musical, and Tony nominee Tom Wopat.” Discounted ticket from TDF.

It was 2:30am when I finally crashed, thanking my Higher Power, whom I choose to call God, for giving me yet another Awesome Birthday Day.

Bill
wanjr@aol.com

No comments: