Friday, April 25, 2008

Friday - What A Great Upcoming Week

I know, I know, I must sound as if I am constantly patting myself on my back about all of the wonderful things and stuff I am doing, or will do, in The Big Apple, but this is my life-style now and I feel so blessed to be able to have so many opportunities to dip into the entertainment/cultural offerings of The Greatest City in The World.

The weather today is great with a predicted high of 73 degrees and a low of 53. Unfortunately the weekend isn’t as good with rain in the forecast for both Saturday and Sunday - Sat. 64-49, Sun. 53-50.

Ok, for those of you who are panting in eager anticipation of what the next 8 days will be, here goes --
************************
Friday - 8:00 - Thurgood, a Broadway show in early previews starring film actor Laurance Fishbourne, in a one-man show about the life and times of the first black Supreme Court Justice, Thurgood Marshall. Discounted TDF ticket.

Saturday - 2:00 - Little Flower of East Orange (Off-Broadway) - “LAByrinth Theater Company and The Public Theater join forces to reunite the acclaimed writer/director team behind such groundbreaking urban dramas as The Last Days of Judas Iscariot and Jesus Hopped the 'A' Train. Playwright Stephen Adly Guirgis and Director Philip Seymour Hoffman bring us their latest collaboration, an inter-generational ghost story set in a charity hospital in The Bronx.” The show has gotten very good reviews. Discounted ticket from TDF

8:00 - A Catered Affair (Broadway) - “Nominated for a 2008 Outer Critics Circle Award for Outstanding New Broadway Musical, A CATERED AFFAIR is a tender musical comedy about a '50s Bronx mother's efforts to give her only daughter the elaborate wedding she never had - and the bride never asked for. Based on a Paddy Chayefsky TV film and movie, this musical is written by and co-stars Harvey Fierstein, the Tony Award-winning author of Torch Song Trilogy and La Cage aux Folles, with a score by John Bucchino. The cast also features Faith Prince, who was also nominated as Outstanding Actress in a Musical, and Tony nominee Tom Wopat.” Discounted ticket from TDF.

Sunday - at 9:00am I will meet granddaughter Gina Falletta and her friend Kelly and we will have a day full of insider touring of the Big Apple, the exact locations will depend on what they were able to see on Saturday. Then that evening we will have dinner at my favorite theater district restaurant, Angus McIndoe. We will be joined by the rest of her friends and I am looking forward to meeting them.

Monday - in the evening I have an absolutely awesome concert by the New York Pops Orchestra, lead by Skitch Henderson - “The New York Pops 25th Birthday Gala Benefit - Superstars from popular music, Broadway, film and television will take the Carnegie Hall stage with The New York Pops in support of the orchestra and its education programs and free Summermusic concerts. The 25th Birthday Gala, entitled Play to Win, will honor The New York Yankees, James M. Nederlander and James L. Nederlander and will celebrate twenty-five years of bringing great music to New York City. With Guest Artists Nicola Congiu, Larry Gatlin and The Gatlin Brothers, Andrea McArdle, Kelli O’Hara, Haley Swindal, Ronan Tynan, Steve Tyrell, and more!” I have a full price ticket.

Tuesday - 7:05 Yankees vs. Detroit Tigers - discounted nosebleed section ticket.

Wednesday - 7:05 Yankees vs. Detroit Tigers - discounted nosebleed section ticket.

Thursday - on Thursday at 1:00 I am having lunch with Stephen Gardner who is an attorney in The City and who attended the University of Florida at the same time I did. I had lost touch with Steve but luckily we were recently able to reconnect. I look forward to catching up with him.

8:00 - Glory Days, a Broadway show in previews - “This new Broadway musical comedy is the story of four high school friends who reunite one year after graduation only to discover how dramatically their lives have grown apart. While they attempt to reconnect and understand each others differences, nothing can compare to the simpler glory days of high school. A humorous and poignant coming-of-age story, featuring music styles from pop and folk to contemporary rock, with music and lyrics by Nick Blaemire, and a book by James Gardiner.”

Friday - 7:05 - Yankees vs. Seattle Mariners - season ticket package.
***************************

OK, since I am on the subject of my fabulous life-style, let me tell you about the rock concerts I have already scheduled following my return from my Japan/China trip --

May 30 - The Eagles @ Madison Square Garden

June 24 - Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band @ Radio City Music Hall

July 15 - Bon Jovi @ Madison Square Garden

August 14 - Neil Diamond @ Madison Square Garden - yes, I know, I know, but I can’t help it - I LOVE Neil Diamond.

I will go down to Orlando on June 16 to be with my son Bill when he has surgery to remove some cysts from his ear passages. The surgery is on Tuesday the 17th and is an outpatient procedure. I don’t know at this point how long I will be there although his Dr. advises him that he should be fine in 2 days following the procedure. I may be able to schedule some long overdue time with my Florida friends.

Finally, in closing - the Off-Broadway show I saw last night, Good Boys and True, about a sex scandal in an all male Catholic High School (not between the students and clergy) was excellent and the acting was terrific, especially the younger actors.

Have a great weekend.

Bill
wanjr@aol.com

No comments: