Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Tuesday - Yankee Game Tonight???

I have a deeply discounted ($5.00) Upper Tier ticket for tonight’s game against the Detroit Tigers, the first game of a 3 game series. My seat is halfway between home plate and third base but it is about 8 rows from the very top of the stadium, not under any covering.

It is gray, ugly and cold right now, 47 degrees, and the projection for tonight is a low of 42 with the possibility of rain.

I know what you are thinking - “why the f**k is he even considering going to the game?” The answer is, of course - because I am a Yankee fan, but ... and a big butt ... there is also another factor.

What is it you breathlessly ask? Well, last night I had a concert at Carnegie Hall featuring the New York Pops Orchestra in a Gala Benefit Concert honoring the Yankees and the Nederlander family (theater producers). My seat was excellent, in the orchestra, 11 rows from the stage, house right. About 1/2 way through the first part of the program I started to sneeze and cough. I was able to pretty well suppress the sneezing and coughing but my nose was like a broken dam. I know I was annoying my seat-mates. I have no idea where this came from because I had no symptoms when I left the apartment for the concert. At intermission I made the decision to leave, which I did, walking in light rain to and from the subway.

When I got back to the apartment, around 9:00, I immediately took an extra 1000mg of Vitamin C and began taking Echinacea & Goldseal, my time-proven remedy for early cold symptoms. I crashed around 11:30 and woke up this morning at, gasp, 8:30. Do the math.

My nose is running at I write this but I feel much better, so ...

OK, this is what is known as a “venting-blog” and I have just decided that it would be stupid as Hell to sit out in the wind and cold just 9 days before I begin my Japan/China adventure. No game for moi. There, case closed - it is so ordered.

Oh, have the same seat for Wednesday’s game with the projected temperature to be: high of 59 and low of 43. We will address that issue later.

On to other things - my weekend theater experiences.

Thurgood - saw it on Friday. It was excellent and Laurence Fishbourne did a terrific job in this one-man show. It is still in previews and I think it will get excellent reviews when it opens. I learned a lot.

Little Flower of East Orange - saw it Saturday matinee. This was another of the multitude of plays about dysfunctional families. The always wonderful Ellen Burstyn plays a frail Mother in a hospital bed who is yelled at for almost 90 minutes by her junkie son because she will not admit that her father abused her as a child. Apparently son is an addict because Mama won’t admit to being abused as a child (which may or may not have happened). The acting saved what would otherwise have been a wretched evening.

A Catered Affair - saw it Saturday evening. This well-performed musical is about yet another dysfunctional family, this time centering around Mother who insists that her daughter’s wedding be a mega-expensive Catered Affair, that the daughter doesn't want and the father can’t afford. Having said that, it was a very entertaining evening and the performances were uniformly excellent, including raspy-voiced Harvey Fierstein, who also wrote the book.

Oh shit, just looked at the computer clock and it showed 11:11, a number that taunts me and has for years and years.

Now I am going to work on info and stuff about my Japan/China trip. I leave on the 8th of May.

Peace.

Billi Pod
wanjr@aol.com

No comments: