Monday, April 28, 2008

Billi Pod the Tour Guide


As I have previously posted, Gina Falletta, my granddaughter-in-law, of Columbia, SC, was in the Big Apple over the weekend with a group of friends. This was her first visit to NYC so I had agreed to serve as her tour guide on Sunday. We were joined by her friend, Kelly Smith, who teaches art at the Elementary School level in SC. This was also Kelly’s first visit.

Per our plans I met them at 9:00am at their hotel, the posh W Hotel at 47th and Broadway, and after a brief stop at a Starbucks, the adventure began, in light misting rain. It was gray and kinda ugly. The forecast was for clearing weather later in the morning.

As we began, I took this opportunity to advise them of some of the basic “Rules of Being a New Yorker,” such as: (1) never stand on the curb, always stand in the street; (2) the traffic signals are only for drivers and tourists; (3) if at all possible, always cross mid-block, never at the regular crossing; (4) all drivers are assholes; and, (5) it is never OK to suddenly stop in the middle of a block to check out your map.

We walked over to Rockefeller Center, then to Saks to check out the window displays, then across the street to St. Patrick’s Cathedral where Mass had just begun. G & K went inside for a brief visit. We strolled up 5th Avenue at a pace that allowed them to window shop, including going inside Trump Tower.

Luckily, it had stopped raining and was in the process of clearing up, but it was a bit windy and chilly.

When we got to the park entrance at 59th and 5th I pointed out the newly refurbished Plaza Hotel and then bored them with my too-long story about briefly living there with my parents during W.W.II when I was 9 years old. We went into the park and walked around covering about a mile I would guess.

After leaving the park I then took them to the awesome Apple Store. We went inside and I actually touched the new MacBook Air. I have avoided this because I felt it would lead me to purchase one, which I don’t need at this point (I don’t think). Whew, we made it outside, Airlessly.

Next was F.A.O. Schwartz. They went inside and I sat outside in the plaza area. When they finished it was time to get a bite but first we went through a street fair on 58th Street with G & K doing a lot of touching of sunglasses, scarfs and jewelry. They didn’t buy anything however.

My plan was to show them my neighborhood, Midtown East, so to start I took them to one of my favorite pizza places, Ray Bari at 56th and 3rd, where we each had a slice of the thick-crusted pizza and they had a beer.

We were now in my ‘hood so we strolled around and I pointed out some of my favorite places including my old 4th floor walk-up apartment on 53rd Street, known, as you may remember, as “the dorm room.” Beekman Place led us over the small park and dog run to the East River where I took their picture, with Gina on the left and Kelly on the right.

I then took them to my apartment on 51st Street where I showed them what an “alcove studio” is. When we left we walked by the site of the crane accident, which had resulted in 7 deaths. Then we walked to the E train station to head way downtown so they could get a glimpse of The Statute of Liberty.

OK, now, in recognition of full-disclosure I have to admit to a mistake in this part of the journey. What happened? Well, the E train wasn’t running on its usual route after W. 4th Street, so we had to change to the A train (which was running very slow). When we exited from the Fulton Street Station I took a wrong turn and actually had to be given directions. The result, we walked a lot further than we should have - my bad.

But, we finally made it to Battery Park where Lady Liberty was vaguely visible in the distance. Pictures were taken. Then G & K bought some art work and it was time to end our tour. We took the 4 train uptown to Grand Central and then the shuttle to Times Square. I gave them directions on how to get back to their hotel and then I made it back to the apartment at about 4:30, meaning I had about 1:45 to rest, shower and change clothes for our 7:00 dinner date at Angus McIndoe on 44th St. in the theater district.

We met for dinner at Angus at 7:00 where we were joined by Gina and Kelly’s friends Melanie and Claudia, also from Columbia, SC. They were in town for a hair fashion show at The Javits Center. Dinner was excellent and we had a nice time together. Unfortunately, my friend Angus wasn’t on site so I didn’t get a chance to introduce him to our table. Oh well ... maybe next time.

We split at 9:00 and I came back to the apartment and I have to admit that I was tired. Yes, even Billi Pod gets tired every once in a while.

So, Gina and Kelly, it was great being with you. Now all you have to do is drag Alex and Christian up here on your next trip. Right On!!

Bill
wanjr@aol.com

No comments: