Friday, April 11, 2008

Man, what a strange bleeping day

In case you haven’t noticed - I changed the name of this blog from Reverse Snowbird to Billi Pod Blogs.

I have to admit that as I write this at 12:30am on Friday morning the events of Thursday are stilling whirling through and around my head - it was one of the strangest days I can ever remember. What happened, you ask? Well, let me begin at the beginning of the day.

For whatever reason I got only 5 1/2 hours sleep last night, 30 minutes less than my usual, but not a big deal. When I woke up, I got up, feeling a little out of sorts. Peed, went into the kitchen to start the coffee maker and pour my glass of orange juice, and then went to the door to get the 3 daily paper. I noticed that apparently I had forgotten to lock the door when I went to bed last night - not a smart thing to do even in a secure doorman building. When I opened the door - no papers - dammit to Hell.

I immediately went downstairs to ask the doorman, Georgie, what the problem was. The lobby area is being renovated and it was chaos down there. To my surprise George insisted that he had personally put all 3 of the papers in front of my door. What the hell? Maybe one of the workman took them or something.

I went back up to the apartment and when I walked inside the first thing I noticed were the papers sitting atop the stack of Wednesday’s papers, in their usual place on the couch. Oh my God - obviously when I woke up I broke my daily routine and got the papers first and that explains why the door was unlocked. My bad. But the worst part was having to go back downstairs and try to explain the situation to Georgie, who couldn’t contain his laughter. He will not forget this, trust me. I felt dumb as hell.

Oh well, on with the day, thought I, so I read the papers and got ready to head out to the Yankee Stadium ticket office to make the ticket exchanges for games I had scheduled during my upcoming trip to Japan/China and to purchase an additional 8 games via my vouchers at half price in the Loge area.

Made excellent time to the stadium. The weather was awesome, in the low 70s with almost no clouds. There wasn’t a line at the ticket booth but the ticket agent I got was old and grumpy and I remember dealing with him in the past. He is an asshole. Had no trouble exchanging the two tickets but when I gave him the information about the 1/2 price Loge tickets I wanted he quickly and curtly advised me that no Loge seats were available for any of the games I wanted. Only upper tier seating was available. Damn and double damn. I opted to use them for $5.00 seats in the upper tier. I did save $20 per ticket and that was OK. I paid with my Chase Master Card. At least I had accomplished part of what I wanted.

But, on the way back to the apartment I got something in my left eye and I couldn’t flush it out with any of the drops that I have and I thought I was going to have to make an emergency visit to my eye Dr. Thankfully, whatever it was finally went away but the eye was pretty red. I was beginning to feel really out of synch.

Then, as I was chilling the phone rang and it was a representative from Visas International in California wanting to verify my credit card information because when they had attempted to process my payment for their services for the China Visa my credit card was denied.

What the fuck? Never in my ENTIRE life have I had a credit card charge denied - never. I verified the number on the payment form and it was correct. While I was on hold they processed it again and again it was denied. What the fuck? I gave them another credit card and everything went OK.

Immediately called Chase Customer Services and was finally able to talk with a live person who spoke English. I told him what had happened and when he reviewed my file he said that the Yankee ticket charge went through but when minutes later there was a charge from California, Chase Fraud Division had flagged the account. We got things straightened out but I was pissed that something like this had happened and I asked him to note that I travel a lot and to make a notation to that effect on the account and he said he would and he apologized.

Wow, not a very good day so far. It was 4:30 (as many of you know, I don’t eat lunch) and I needed to have my usual fruit and cheese plate since I had an Off-Broadway show downtown at 8:00. Fixed it and was just chilling while watching the news when I happened to glance down at my daily log and noticed that the start time for my show was 7:00, not 8:00. Holy double-fuck!! What is going on inside my head? But, in all fairness - a 7:00 start time on a Thursday is a rarity even for Off-Broadway shows.

I quickly got dressed and headed out. It was 5:45 so I had plenty of time to make it downtown to make the 6:30 pickup time. Not so fast Kimosabe, whoever or whatever is fucking with you isn’t finished. I hopped on a downtown rush-hour-jammed E train and, guess what ... as we were approaching 42nd Street the train ahead of us had a problem of some kind and we were stranded in a jammed and hot car for almost 30 minutes. Luckily the train ahead of us somehow got out of the way and on we went. It was 6:45 when I got to the theater, but no problem with the ticket people after I explained what had happened.

Now the good part of the day, the show: The Break-Up and The Happy Sad - “An evening-length work that features two thematically related one act plays by Tommy Smith and Ken Urban. In The Break Up, a man falls in love with his drug dealer, with disastrous results. In The Happy Sad, Stan loves Annie, but Annie doesn't love Stan; Marcus loves Aaron, but Marcus doesn't like monogamy: and, Annie may love Julie, but Annie doesn’t want to be a lesbian.” It was done without intermission and was about 90 minutes. It was very very funny and very well acted. I liked it a lot.

The Yankee/Kansas City game started at 8:10 so when the show was over I wanted to hurry out of the small dark theater so I could listen to the game on my Walkman on the way back to the subway station. I was pulling the Walkman out of my backpack as I was walking down the dark steps from the theater and, yep ... you guessed it ... I lost my balance and came down hard on my left leg causing a bolt of pain in my left knee, the one that has been bothering me for awhile. Luckily I didn’t fall, but I had to limp to the subway station, to the subway, out of the subway and back to the apartment. It hurt.

Now, the somewhat better news - I immediately put an ice pack on it and most of the pain has gone away although it is a little tender.

Hopefully the ‘puter will not crash when I try to publish this and tomorrow will be a better day. Sorry about the length but remember, one of the purposes of a blog is to give the blogger an opportunity to vent and to record, so ...

It is now 1:30am

Peace.

No comments: