Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Wednesday - The Red Sox Are in Town

As I write this at 3:30pm the temperature outside is 66 degrees and I have just gotten back from my daily 3 mile walk, a routine that has suffered during the winter. I want to make sure my legs are in shape for the upcoming 20 day Japan/China trip. I leave on May 8th and get back to NYC on the 28th. Much more about it to come.

Tonight the Fuck Soxs .... oooooooops ... Red Sox are in town for a 2 game series and I will be at both games, of course. My seats for both games are excellent, in the Loge, of course, halfway between lst base and the right field pole. The Yankees ace Ching-Mien Wang will be pitching tonight and Mike Mussina tomorrow night.

I should be an interesting series coming so close to the games in Fenway. Security is always tightened whenever the Fuck Sox are in town and you are not permitted to war “degrading or inflammatory clothing.” No joke, they won’t let you into the stadium, so what most people do is wear their “degrading or inflammatory” T-shirts and stuff underneath something else and put them on once they are in their seats. That is what I will do. My T-shirt has Calvin (from Calvin & Hobbs) pissing on a Red Sox baseball cap. Right on!!

On another topic - I can’t say enough about the wonderful Actor’s Fund Benefit show on Monday night featuring Seth Rudetsky with a full orchestra and a cast of Broadway stars. I have taken the liberty of copying a post from the site talkinbroadway.com that pretty much sums it up --

**************************************

“I honestly can't remember when I've had a better time. Not a single weak link or weak moment in Mr. Rudetsky's Broadway 101. So many highlights --

The palpable thrill of seeing Andrea McArdle (the 7 pm audience wild from the get go). The Andreas (McArdle and Burns were funny funny funny in Seth's deconstruction of head vs. chest voice, but the two Andreas then turned on a dime and did an amazingly (okay, ahMAZingly) focused, strong, and poignant A Boy Like That/I Have A Love.

Lilias White, who tore off the roof of the New World Stages theater ... Seth's terrific deconstruction of the Tunick orchestrations for Another Hundred People, and then the still spot-on Pamela Myers to put it all together...

The gorgeous choral arrangements of Morning Glow (done by Schwartz himself per Seth), with Jonathan Groff taking the lead -- a bit nervous at first, I thought, but about breaking your heart by the end of the song.

The always glorious (and just drop dead gorgeous) Norm Lewis at the show's close (Lullaby of Broadway).

And above all the constant wit, generosity, and immense talent of Seth Rudetsky. These years we live in may not be the golden age of the musical, but it's certainly the Golden Age of Seth Rudetsky. blueeyedguynyc”

************************************************

My show last night - God’s Eye - about a couple attempting to get over the loss of their child - just didn’t work for me nor from what I heard afterwards, for much of the audience. It is early in previews so maybe it can be fixed, but I doubt it.

OK, it is now time to post this, fix my usual fruit and cheese plate, dress warmly, and head out to see the Yankees kick Boston butt. Go Yankees!!!!

Bill
wanjr@aol.com

No comments: