Saturday, October 26, 2013

GILBERT S. GOSHORN, JR (1934-2011)


As I posted earlier today, two years ago today I lost one of my dearest friends, Gil Goshorn

On October 27, 2011, I posted on my blog about Gil and I have received permission from his wife, Linda, to repost it today. So here it is, in its entirety, without any editing ...
*************************
GILBERT S. GOSHORN, JR. (1934-2011)

My dear friend Gilbert S. Goshorn, Jr., a retired Judge, died peacefully at home on Wednesday afternoon - he was 76 years old.

Our friendship began at The University of Florida in the 1950s and continued through the years.

At the University of Florida Gil was an ATO, active in campus politics, a member of Florida Blue Key and was inducted into the University of Florida Hall of Fame. He was a Gator to the bone.

After a very successful practice in Titusville, FL, Gil served as a Judge in the Eighteenth Judicial Circuit Court. He later served as a Judge on the Fifth District Court of Appeals and was Chief Judge of that Court from 1991 to 1993.

He was a member of the Judicial Qualifications Commission and was also Chairman of that body 1997-98.

Following his retirement he and his devoted wife, Linda, moved to Gainesville. Gil found time to do mediation and some appellate work.

When Linda makes the final arrangements, I will head down to Gainesville to participate in the memorial services to commemorate a “life-well-lived.”

Rest In Peace Gilberto.

Bill
*************************
Yes, he is still missed by his family, his friends and his colleagues on the Bench. I particularly miss his wicked sense of humor.

I had an nice conversation with Linda this afternoon and she assured me that she is doing well and has moved on with her life.

Linda, please know that you and Gil will always remain in my thoughts and prayers.

Love,

Bill

No comments: