Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Billi Pod’s Belated Update




Wednesday==>Good afternoon to all of my loyal and faithful readers and followers out there in the morass known as cyberspace.

Your favorite blogger here in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World, deeply regrets the pain and uncertainty he caused many of you by his failure to post anything yesterday on this blog. He did, however, post timely on his Facebook Timeline (hint hint). 

What was the problem(s) I know most of you are anxiously asking your inner selves?

Well ... inner selves ... it went down like this ...

First, Monday has to take part of the blame because it was basically nothing more than a day taken up by boring in-apartment chores and a mind-numbing number of hours spent in front of the tube watching sports==>Cardinals @ Pirates, FuckSox @ Rays, Jets @ Falcons, and Braves @ Dodgers.

For the first time in I can’t remember when I never left the confines of the apartment, even to go down to the lobby to check the mail. My Pedometer mileage was a minuscule .30 miles, all done in the apartment.

So ... there really wasn't much to report about for Monday ... 

Then, on Tuesday, the day started off with what was supposed to be a routine 11:00am appointment with my eye doctor, Dr. Dina Weintraub. Well, it was anything but “routine” starting with an overbooked schedule that resulted in an hour-long wait just to make it back to the examination room.

Prior to going back I was given mega-doses of eye drops to dilate the pupils in both eyes resulting in another protracted delay as the drops did their job. Extensive pictures were taken of the inner workings of each eye.

It was almost 1:00pm when Dr. Weintraub finally came in. Now, don’t get me wrong ... I am not complaining, I am only reporting ... I have only the highest regard of Dr. Weintraub and her staff and she and I get along really well.

I am happy to report that she was pleased with the results of all of the testing and the pressure levels in each eye. This was, finally, the good news that I wanted/needed.

It was around 1:45pm when I left her office. The weather was good and I had planned to walk the 2+ miles back to the apartment.

The only problem was that my eyes were still majorly dilated so that, coupled with the glaucoma, made me practically blind. Not joking, it really did. Did your favorite blogger change his plans and either cab or subway back to the apartment?

Well ... you know the answer ... of course he didn’t.

I won’t bore you with the details other than to say that it wasn’t very pleasant. It was kinda like a blind person walking across the Island of Manhattan without the benefit of a guide dog.

When I finally got back to PHC my vision was still majorly impaired to the extent that it made it extremely difficult to do anything with the computer. Also ... I felt emotionally drained.

I was able to sleep for about 90 minutes and felt much better when I woke up although my vision was still impaired.

By this time I had to get ready for my entertainment event for the evening, which was ...

7:30==>NEW YORK PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA @ Avery Fisher Hall - The program was: Mark-Anthony Turnage (who??) - Frieze (U.S. premiere) and Beethoven - Symphony No. 9. (subscription series)

My vision was still fuzzy but that wasn’t a major problem.

As I had anticipated/feared the Turnage piece was another piece of “modern” atonal dreck that Billi Pod hates. Thank God, it was only 24 minutes in duration. It received a very tepid response from the audience.

After intermission was, of course, the highlight of the evening, Beethoven's majestic Symphony No. 9, featuring 4 soloists and the Manhattan School of Music Symphonic Chorus (80+ singers).

It was totally AWESOME and the sold-out house gave the performers a well-earned roaring standing ovation.

When the concert was over I briefly considered walking back to the apartment but since I had already clocked in 5+ miles for the day, I opted to subway back.

Was back in PHC in time to watch most of the Rays/FuckSox game from that disgrace known as Tropicana Field.

It was a very exciting game to watch but, as you probably know, The FuckSox won 3-1 and advance to the ALCS on Friday.

So ... my loyal and faithful readers and followers, that brings you up-to-date ... so ... let’s move on to today ...

Well ... tonight will be another classical music concert for your favorite blogger ...

8:00==>ORPHEUS CHAMBER ORCHESTRA @ Carnegie Hall - The program is: Brahms - Liebeslieder Waltzes; Mehldau (who??) -  Variations for Piano and Orchestra (U.S. Premiere); and, Beethoven - Symphony No. 3 (Eroica).” (complimentary ticket)

I have seen this group performance on several occasions and they do a great job. Interestingly, they perform without a conductor.

Of course, I am rather confident that my comp. ticket will be in the upper nosebleed section of The Hall ... but no matter because of the great acoustics in this legendary venue.

Moving on ...

Today my longtime friend and judicial colleague Miette Burnstein of Ft. Lauderdale, FL, will come into The City with her daughter, Kerry, and granddaughter, Kyla, to celebrate Kayla’s 20th birthday. They have scheduled a theater-loaded whirlwind adventure.

On Thursday, noonish, they will come over to PHC for the awesome views of Hell’s Kitchen, then we will have lunch at my favorite Ethiopian restaurant, Meske, on West 47th Street.

Really looking forward to seeing you guys.

In closing, I am happy to report that yesterday was an excellent walking day and that this morning my vision is back to normal ...

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>6.00 miles (or, 13,123 steps)

Total mileage since 7/1/13==>342.88  miles (average 3.43 miles per day)

GO GATORS!! 

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: