Thursday, June 13, 2013

Wednesday==>SUPER DAY!!


Thursday==>Yes, my loyal and faithful readers and followers, yesterday was a totally SUPER DAY for your favorite blogger, a day with maximum everything beginning with friendship, then entertainment and ending with walking ... so ... let’s get started with all of the great details ...

As you will recall, yesterday’s blog posting was delayed and my legitimate excuse was lunch with some out-of-town friends. Well ... here are the details ...

At 11:30am I met up with Tammy Serebrin and Eileen Schofield (aka Thelma and Louise) from Lakeland, FL, who were in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World, as part of their “road trip” to visit friends and relatives in New York City, Philadelphia, New Jersey and Washington, DC.

We had a great lunch at Puglia on Hester Street down in Little Italy, even though a couple of no-neck monsters across the room kept yelling and screaming.

In the picture Eileen is to the left and Tammy to the right. Tammy’s husband, Ira, is still practicing law down in Lakeland. We go back years and years.

As an interesting side note ... Eileen was the Stage Manager (the actual Stage Manager, not the role of the Stage Manager) for the production of Our Town at Bartow Performing Arts Council (BPAC) where I played Dr. Gibbs. This was years and years ago, too.

Another interesting note ... Tammy is a theatre blogger for The Ledger, writing and reviewing the entertainment and cultural scene in and around Polk County. Her website is ...


It is very interesting and well-written ... so ... check it out when you have a chance.

We had a great time, doing a lot of catching up and sharing.

So==>Tammy and Eileen it was great being with you and thank you for lunch.

When lunch was over we split. They took the subway up to midtown for their theater matinee and I decided to do some more walking and wandering on my way back to the apartment.

Yes, I did consider walking all the way back, about 3 miles, but opted not to because I hadn’t fulfilled my obligation to you loyal and faithful readers and followers to post in a timely fashion. I had also done some walking and wandering before meeting up with Tammy and Eileen. So, I decided to walk from Little Italy to the subway station @ West 4th Street in The Village.

As I was walking North on Thompson Street I had one of those WTF? moments. This is what caught my eye and caused me to stop in my tracks ...

Why, I know you are all asking your inner selves? Well ... inner selves ... it was because my dear dear friend David Huddleston played the role of The Big Lebowski in the movie by the same name.

I went inside and had a nice conversation with the owner. If you are part of The Big Lebowski Cult, then this store is certainly worth checking out.

When I got back to the apartment I finished the overdue posting and then it was time to head uptown for my entertainment event. I didn’t have the usual fruit and cheese plate because I had eaten a full lunch.

My show was at Symphony Space at Broadway and West 95th Street. I got there about an hour early so I could do some walking and wandering in the ‘hood. The weather was nice and it felt great.

Now ... here is Billi Pod’s report card on last night’s entertainment event ... 

MY SON THE WAITER, A JEWISH TRAGEDY, Brad Zimmerman’s one-man show about his struggles in New York, his family and his acting career==>A

The show is gut-busting funny but also very poignant at times.

Zimmerman looks back at his life through three characters: himself, his father and his mother. He uses humor to laugh at himself, an underachiever who waited tables for almost 29 years before being able to perform onstage, in his mid-50s.

As I posted yesterday, he has toured the show all over the country to mostly very favorable reviews.

The house was full and he received a well-earned standing ovation at the conclusion of the 90-minute show.

It was 8:30pm when I left the theater with a huge smile on my face. The weather was still very nice so I decided to walk part of the way back to the apartment. Yes, I did consider walking all the way but since I had already recorded almost 8 miles for the day I opted to just walk South on Broadway to 72nd Street where I subwayed back to 42nd Street.

I have to admit to being a bit tired when I opened the door to PHC. OMFG!! I had recorded 9.25 miles. SUPER!!! Honestly, how many 79-yr old people walk 9+ miles in one day? How many?

Warmed some pizza and settled in to watch The Yankees/Oakland game that began at 10:05pm EST.

Well, the only thing for the day that wasn’t SUPER was the ball game. The Yankees lost 5-2 as Phil Hughes was victimized by the longball, yet again. This was the second time in three starts that Hughes didn’t get out of the 5th inning.

This afternoon @ 3:35pm EST The Athletics go for a sweep of the 3-game series. It will be Hiroki Kuroda (6-5) for The Bombers vs. Jarrod Parker (5-6) for the A’s.

Of course I plan to stay in to watch the game.

Moving on to today’s entertainment event ...

7:30==>NEW YORK PHILHARMONIC @ Avery Fisher Hall - The program includes: Dukas - The Sorcerer’s Apprentice; Stravinsky - The Firebird Suite; and Prokofiev - Violin Concerto No. 2 (subscription series)

Weather permitting I will, of course, walk back home following the concert.

OK, folks out there in the hinterlands, boondocks and wastelands, I hope you will agree with my assessment that yesterday was a SUPER DAY, because it is up to you ... 

I REPORT - YOU DECIDE!! 

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>9.25 miles (or, 20,217 steps)

Total mileage since 7/1/12==>1,634.90 miles 

GO YANKEES!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: