Saturday, June 8, 2013

Friday==>DOUBLE BUMMER


Saturday==>Yes, my loyal and faithful readers and followers out there in the hinterlands, wastelands and boondocks, yesterday was a DOUBLE BUMMER DAY for your favorite blogger here in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World.

It started with the nasty and yucky weather. It lightly rained in the morning, got heavier in the afternoon and then started pouring in the early evening, lasting until the early morning hours of Saturday. Totally nasty and yucky to put it mildly.

Then the second BUMMER ... as I posted yesterday I had a very interesting show booked for the evening, A PICTURE OF AUTUMN, about one family's attempt to grow old gracefully. The show is playing at the Mint Theatre only one rather long block from my apartment building.

When it was time to head out for the show the rain had picked up and the wind was blowing. I was pretty wet when I got to the theatre even though I had an umbrella.

The house was virtually full and I had a decent comp. seat in the rear of the theatre, in the very middle. The running time for the show is 2:20, with 3 acts and 2 intermissions.

In all honesty I have to admit that the story line involving aging, dementia, secrets and stubbornness was a bit troublesome, but I knew this going in. I was pretty involved with the characters and plot through Act 1.

Then, just minutes before the first intermission, my nose started to run and I had a virtually overwhelming urge to sneeze and cough. WTF?? I was able to suppress everything until I got to the lobby and then it all took over and I knew I was in deep trouble. I was coughing and sneezing, with snot flowing out of my nose. It wasn’t pretty, trust me on this

Well, to make a longer story shorter, I opted to leave rather than risk embarrassing myself. Of course, it was pouring rain and I was totally soaked when I got back to PHC.

And ... WTF? ... in about 30 minutes the coughing, sneezing and runny nose went away. WTF?

Oh well ... luckily, thought I, the YANKEE/SEATTLE game doesn’t start until 10:10pm. So, I settled in to watch the game and ...

It was a TOTAL BUMMER too. The Yankees lost 4-1 when our starter, Hiroki Kuroda, had basically one bad inning and the Bomber bats went dead after scoring 1 run in the top of the lst.

It was a little after 1:00am when the final out was made and that ended what was really a BUMMER BUMMER BUMMER DAY.

Hopefully, I can score another ticket for A PICTURE OF AUTUMN.

I am happy to report that today is a much nicer weather day. It is a mixture of sun and clouds at 10:00am, 66ยบ and no rain in the forecast.

So ... let’s get back on track with details on Billi Pod’s entertainment doubleheader, starting with ...

2:00==>THE SILVER CORD - “A domestic drama about the smothering relationship between a mother and her two grown sons.” (Off Broadway - complimentary ticket)

This show is playing at the Theatre at St. Clement’s on West 46th Street.

Then @ 4:10pm EST is the final game of the 3-game YANKEES/SEATTLE series with Andy Pettitte (4-3) on the mound for The Yankees vs. Joe Saunders (4-5) for The Mariners.

For the evening is ...

7:00==>EST’S 34th MARATHON OF ONE-ACT PLAYS - Series C - “Comprised of 5 new one-act plays: Existence by Murray Schisgal; Zero by Tommy Smith; Hate the Loser Inside by Jon Kern; Carry the Zero by Christopher Sullivan; and, Solar Plexus by Clare Barron.” (Off Broadway - complimentary ticket)

I was unable to score tickets for Series A and B, so I am glad I am finally getting to see this series. According to the press info, this is “the longest running and most acclaimed one-act play festival in the country.”

It is playing at Ensemble Studio Theater located on West 52nd Street.

OK, you are now up-to-date ... so ...

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND EVERYONE!!

Yesterday’s bad weather also had a negative impact on my walking mileage ...

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>2.07 miles (or, 4,529 steps)

Total mileage since 7/1/12==>1,607.43 miles 

GO YANKEES!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”


No comments: