Friday, December 7, 2012

Three Consecutive Entertainment Doubleheaders==>WOW!!


Well, my loyal and faithful readers and followers, after I posted the December 7, 1941 posting I wasn’t in much of a mood to write anything else. Also, the weather had gotten really nasty and ugly out, misting rain, windy and cold.

I braved the elements for two trips to the ‘hood grocery store, primarily to restock my drink of choice, Fresca. I try to keep at least a month’s supply in reserve in case the local Food Emporium suddenly decides not to carry it any longer because they need the shelf space for something more “popular.”

It is now mid-afternoon and I have no excuse for not keeping you loyal and faithful readers and followers up-to-date on Billi Pod’s entertainment activities, so ... let’s get right to it ... with ...

I was able to score a seat for yesterday’s York Theatre staged reading of I LOVE MY WIFE - “On Christmas Eve in the 70s in suburban Trenton, New Jersey, two married couples who have been close friends since high school find themselves contemplating a ménage-à-quatre ( a 4-some).”

This show, with music by Cy Coleman, opened on Broadway in 1977, won 2 Tony Awards and ran for 857 performances.

I am happy to report that it was totally 110% enjoyable. Kudos to the stellar cast headed by my FaceBook friend Josh Grisetti. It amazes me how they are able to put on such a satisfying show with such extremely limited rehearsal time. Hopefully the show will have a life in some Off Broadway venue.

I left the theater with a smile on my face, that is for certain.

Then for the evening was ...

BUMBUG: The Musical, the rock opera reinvention of ‘A Christmas Carol’ told through the looking glass of NYC Immigrants and Hyphenated Americans==>B

Frankly, it grew on me as it developed. It is 75 minutes, without intermission, with almost no spoken dialogue because it is a "rock-opera." The cast is excellent. It is certainly different but is worth seeing.

When the show was over I went to The Port Authority Bus Terminal and did about a hour’s worth of walking.

When I finally got back to PHC it suddenly hit me that this had been my third consecutive entertainment doubleheader, all in the midweek. I don’t remember this ever happening before.

Only to NYC, folks, only in NYC!!

Tonight’s entertainment event is ...

8:00==>BARE: THE MUSICAL - “A contemporary rock musical that follows a group of teens wrestling with issues of identity, sexuality, and religion at a co-ed Catholic boarding school.” (Off Broadway - discounted TDF ticket)

This show has played outside NYC to mostly favorable reviews so I am looking forward to seeing it.

The weekend is going to be interesting.

Tomorrow, at noon, I am meeting up with my Anna Maria, FL, friend John Horne and his new bride Amanda, and John’s posse for lunch at the famous restaurant Maloney & Porcelli, on East 50th Street.

Then for the evening I have a concert==>DEBBIE GRAVITTE’S ALL STAR HOLIDAY SHOW.

On Sunday, noonish, John Scott Reed, his father Stan, his father’s girlfriend Shari and Scott’s friend/roommate Bernard Lam will come to PHC so Shari can take in the view(s) and then we will get a bite somewhere in my Hell’s Kitchen ‘hood.

Then for the evening I will head down to The Public Theatre for the 3-hour long musical GIANT.

Yep, the weekend is definitely looking good. Just hope the weather is OK.

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>4.59 miles (or, 10,047 steps)

Total mileage since 7/1/12==>853.84 miles 

Mileage remaining until 4/23/13==>225.16 miles

GO GATORS!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”


No comments: