Thursday, December 13, 2012

THE TWENTY-SEVENTH MAN==>A


Good morning to all of my loyal and faithful readers and followers on there in the wastelands, hinterlands and boondocks.

In the name of fair and unbiased reporting Billi Pod must reveal that yesterday’s entertainment doubleheader was a mixed blessing.

My first show was downtown, SEX TIPS FOR STRAIGHT WOMEN FROM A GAY MAN, a new three-character comedy whose title says it all, as they say.

WTF?? What “they” (our ticket service) didn’t tell us was that this was a staged reading and as such was missing most of the necessary sound cues, graphics, props etc etc. WTF??

The premises is that a book called “Sex Tips for Straight Women from a Gay Man” is being presented to a very conservative book club by its authors ... tada ...  a straight woman and a gay man. It is extremely, and I mean extremely, profane with an overload of penis jokes spurting out.

Yes, it is often kinda funny but, it needs a lot of hard work to get it up for a life on stage, in my humble opinion.

The good thing about the show was that its running time was only 65 minutes, so I able to come back to my ‘hood and meet up with my two theater buddies Dian Crystal aka My Lady and Marty Kosarik aka What’s His Name for an early dinner at our favorite Fallopian restaurant, Meske, located on West 47th Street in my Hell’s Kitchen hood.

We had a nice ... what Marty? ... oh ... sorry ... my bad ... folks, I meant our favorite Ethiopian restaurant ... my bad ... sorry Marty.

Anyway ... we had a lot of catching up to do since My Lady has been away from the theater scene for over a month due to surgery on her right foot. Happily, she is now back, going full-steam-ahead!!

The food and company was excellent. It was great being with you guys.

When dinner was over I briefly came back to PHC to make an important phone call to a very special person (and you know who you are) and to pick up a heavier and warmer coat.

Then it was time to head back downtown for my second entertainment event ... 

THE TWENTY-SEVENTH MAN, about the execution, in 1952 Russia, of twenty-six established Yiddish writers and one young non-published writer, on secret orders from Stalin==>A

There is superb acting, especially young Noah Robbins. The story line is very engrossing and emotionally involving. The staging is scarily realistic.

The house was full and you could hear a pin drop because the audience was so transfixed with what was happening on stage.

The final scene is so emotional that the women seated on either side of me were softly crying. I have to admit to being emotionally drained when the show was over.

I am so glad I finally got to see it before its Sunday closing.

Moving on ...

Tonight’s entertainment event is ...

7:30==>NEW YORK PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA @ Avery Fisher Hall - The program is: 
Schumann’s Piano Concerto featuring 17-year-old virtuoso Jan Lisiecki; and,
Sibelius - Symphonies No. 3 and No. 7. (subscription series)

Having two shows downtown made for a nice walking day ... so ...

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>5.63 miles (or, 12,308 steps)

Total mileage since 7/1/12==>884.36 miles 

Mileage remaining until 4/23/13==>194.64 miles

GO GATORS!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: