Sunday, January 29, 2012

A Sunday Doubleheader For Billi Pod

Good morning to all of my loyal and faithful readers out there in the hinterlands. Hope your weekend is going well ... mine is.


On this bright, brisk and windy Sunday morning in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World, it was 38º at 8:30am and now two hours later it has dropped down to 36º. Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!


Hope it doesn’t get any colder because Billi Pod has an entertainment doubleheader for today that will require him to leave the cozy confines of PHC around 2:00pm, not to return until around 10:00pm.


Oh well ... ain't nuttin' I can do about the weather ... so ... moving on to ...


Billi Pod’s report card on last night’s IONESCOPADE, the vaudevillian collage of playlets and poems by the absurdist master Eugene Ionesco, playing at The York Theatre==>B+.


It is different, a lot of fun, with an excellent cast. The use of the word absurdist in the press blurb is certainly fitting, and, Billi Pod has to admit that some of the bits were, for him, basically unfathomable ... but ... the performers were incredible and that saved the day.


If one is to enjoy this show one has to let the inner critic go and just let the performers take you to wherever they want ... then you will have a lot of fun and become one with the show.


The show is in very early previews and will probably earn an A once it opens.


Had a nice visit with The York Theatre’s Producing Artistic Director, Jim Morgan (a FaceBook friend), before the show and at intermission.


As mentioned above ... Billi Pod has a somewhat “different” doubleheader schedule for today. First is ...

3:00==>MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET - “A treasure trove of the greatest rock 'n' roll, gospel, R&B and country hits based on a chance meeting between Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, and Elvis Presley.” (Off Broadway - complimentary ticket)


I saw this show during its very successful Broadway run and enjoyed it a lot. In fact, a lot more than I had anticipated. It has now moved Off Broadway and I thought I would give it another look-see.


When the show is over I will not return to PHC but will, instead, head downtown to Astor Place for the second part of my doubleheader. Will have time for coffee and probably something sweet.


Then ...


7:00==>GOB SQUAD’S KITCHEN - “Gob Squad returns to 1965 to reconstruct Andy Warhol’s films and lifestyle.” (Off Broadway - complimentary ticket)


Yeah ... I know ... and it is really Gob Squad, not God Squad. I already have a kinda strange feeling in my gut about this show.


It is a multimedia work and it is my understanding that audience members are selected to perform on stage, to directions given them via headphones.


Hummmmmmmmm ... does Billi Pod want to make his Off Broadway debut this way? Oh ... wait ... I made my debut when I did TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD way way Off Broadway, up in Yonkers. Well, if selected I will give it another shot, being the professional that I am ... right ...


Anyway ... will also be on the lookout for my theater buddy Dian Crystal. Don’t know whether she will have part of her posse with her or not.


To update you loyal and faithful readers who religiously (as you should) keep track of Billi Pod’s scheduled activities ... I have just added a Thursday matinee ... yes, it is unusual for a Thursday ...


Thurs - 2:00==>HONESTLY ABE (Off Broadway - complimentary ticket); Evening==>meet up with Justin Allen Pifer for face time and dinner in da ‘hood.


You are sooooooo very welcum.


GO YANKEES AND GO BIG BLUE!!


Billi Pod

“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

ALEX-159

No comments: