Monday, January 30, 2012

Errands Monday and Report Cards On Yesterday’s Doubleheader

Good Monday afternoon everyone.


I apologize to all of my loyal and faithful readers for the delay in today’s posting but today, being Monday, is my usual errands and stuff day and I thought that I would get them out of the way before working on my daily blog ... well ...


It seems as if everything took longer than I had anticipated and nothing worked out exactly as I expected. I won’t bore you with too many details other than to share that they all revolved around getting the necessary hardware and stuff to frame and hang the artwork I had gotten out of my Bartow storage area a couple of weeks ago.


One of the few downsides of living in a metropolitan area like New York City is ... no shopping malls ... meaning a lot of walking and a lot of subway rides to get things and stuff. My first store was on 57th and 7th Avenue and it didn’t have what I wanted/needed so I headed further uptown to 97th and Columbus Ave. and they only had part of what I wanted/needed. Damn!!!


So I came back to PHC, went online and was able to order the rest of the stuff. Why I didn’t think about doing that first I really don’t know ... but I didn't.


Anyway ... at least I have made the first step toward overcoming my artistic sloth.


As most of you loyal and faithful readers know, yesterday was another entertainment doubleheader for Billi Pod.


His first show was MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET based on a chance (but true) meeting between Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, and Elvis Presley, in a recording studio.

When I first saw this show back in March 2011, during its Broadway run, I gave it an A. I am happy to report that it also works very well in the smaller Off Broadway venue at New World Stages, so my report card is==>A.


Each of the performers bore a passable resemblance to the rock ‘n’ roll legends they were portraying. Each of the characters performed their gold record hits in basically a jam-session format.


I have to admit that once again it brought back a lot of memories since it is set in 1956, when I was a mere 22 years old and just beginning to really get into rock music. I left the theatre with a happy smile on my face and my ears ringing.


As planned I didn’t go back to PHC but rather headed down to the Astor Place area for my second show.


Had time to check out John Scott Reed’s aka Fabson new apartment location. Fabson is leaving Brooklyn to return to Manhattan, where he belongs. His building is located on 10th Street between 1st and 2nd Avenues. It is a happening area and I will post more about it later. Also had time for some coffee and something sweet, again as I had planned.


Met up with my theater buddy Dian Crystal just before the show. She was traveling without her usual posse.


OK ... OK ... I know ... you are tired of waiting for me to report on my second show GOB SQUAD’S KITCHEN, a reconstruction of Andy Warhol’s firms and lifestyle, set in 1965 ... well folks ... even though more time has transpired I am still uncertain just WTF was going on ... so ... Billi Pod’s report card is==>WTF.


It was certainly different to say the least. Unfortunately Billi Pod did not get selected to appear onstage with the cast ... dammit ... Neither Dian, but she really didn’t want to do it, whereas, Billi Pod did ... oh well ...


As I posted yesterday, it is a multimedia presentation that breaks the 4th wall multiple times. I will be very interested in the reviews once the show officially opens.


Now ... moving on to today ... or rather ... tonight ...

8:00==>STONE AND STONE - “Twin brothers perform at The Peoples Improv Theater.” (comedy show -complimentary ticket).


I think that the following press release about the show is very interesting ...


On a quiet morning in 1983, twin babies were placed in an open basket in the Hudson River on the New Jersey side. They passed over the calm waters to the island of Manhattan where they were discovered, rescued, and later raised by a beautiful and kindly beggar-woman. One day during their eighteenth year, the twins went to play in Central Park. While rubbing sticks together to create a spark, a whole bush caught on fire and a mighty voice spoke out to them. The twins asked the bush what they should do. “Should we found a nation for twins?” asked Adam. “Or discover the cure for gout?” asked Todd. “No!” said the flaming bush. “You must go to Wesleyan University together, start a comedy show and then hit the New York comedy scene. Now!” And that is what they did.


Always dressed in double-breasted blazers, the Stone twins, Adam and Todd, created a two man comedy act called "Stone and Stone" during their sophomore year at Wesleyan University. Since graduating in 2005, they have performed at comedy clubs and theaters throughout New York

City.”


I think this should be fun.


OK ... still got things and stuff to do ... so ...


GO YANKEES AND GO BIG BLUE!!


Billi Pod

“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

ALEX-160

No comments: