Sunday, January 22, 2012

My Tripleheader Report Card And My Senior Moment ...

Good morning my loyal and faithful readers out there in the hinterlands and in the vast wilderness known as cyberspace.


It was 19º @ 8:30am this morning in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World. Yesterday’s slush has now turned to ice making it extremely unpleasant out there. Not only unpleasant but also a bit dangerous because it is reported that portions of the sidewalks in Manhattan are now covered with what is called “black ice.”


What is “black ice” those of you living in the South are no doubt breathlessly asking?


It refers to a thin coating of glazed ice on a surface that it is virtually transparent and extremely dangerous. One minute you are walking along ... the next you are flat on your ass ... or worse.


Trust me ... when I go out later in the day I will take extra precautions. This is the one danger that Billi Pod fears about living up here during the Winter. For him, at his age ... a slip-and-fall could have catastrophic consequences.


OK ... OK ... catastrophic is a pretty harsh word ... but you understand what I mean ... don’t you?


Anyway ... moving on to providing you loyal and faithful readers with the usual report cards on yesterday’s entertainment events ...


Billi Pod’s tripleheader was a mixed bag ...

First was the 3:00 show OUTSIDE PEOPLE, the dark comedy about a young American who falls in love with a young Chinese woman in Beijing==>C.


It just didn’t capture me and I found it to be a bland version of the soon-to-close Broadway show CHINGLISH.


Yeah ... it was a very much been-there-seen-that theater experience. The acting was OK but I just didn’t care about any of the characters.


When the show was over I had about 2 hours to kill until my next show. This show was playing in the Union Square area so normally I would have just walked down to The Village to the theatre where my next two shows were scheduled ... but not with yesterday’s weather ... no way ...


So ... I took a rather convoluted subway ride down there. The sidewalks and crosswalks were really slushy and nasty. Went to a coffee shop I like and had some coffee and a sinfully delicious brownie. Was just killing time until my 7:00 show at The Barrow Street Theatre, the first of two shows there.


Got just a bit restless at the coffee shop and thought that I was perhaps overstaying my welcome ... so I decided to go over to the theater a bit early because I knew that the lobby of the Barrow Street Theater was warm and had some seating.


It was 6:15 when I went inside the theater. Was a bit surprised that the lobby was empty. Hummmmmm ... this is kinda weird ... anyway ... went up to the box office to get my ticket ... and ...


When I told the box office attendant that I wanted to pick up my ticket for CEMETERY GOLF I got a confused and blank stare from him. I repeated the request as I was fishing the ticket vouchers out of my backpack. I held one of them in my hand for the attendant to see and then ... we both simultaneously said ... OH SHIT!! Not joking ... this is what we both said.


It was a senior moment ... my shows were not at The Barrow Street Theatre but rather at The Drilling Company Theatre uptown at Broadway and 78th Street. OMFG!! How could I have been so stupid. OMFG!!!


I do have two shows scheduled at The Barrow Street Theatre, but they are for next week.


The attendant kinda smiled and said ... "hey, no problem man, you have plenty of time to make it up there" ...


And, thankfully he was correct because the 1 train station is just a block away from where I was. I have to admit that I spent the entire time on the train mentally bashing myself for being so stupid. I also thanked The Theater Gods for my decision to go to the theater a bit early.

Well, it was 6:45pm when I arrived at The Drilling Company box office ... no problems ... so ... now on with the other stuff ...


CEMETERY GOLF, about growing up in the deep south in a fundamentalist family with an evangelical pastor for a father==>A.


Totally enjoyable although I am rather certain the author/performer will probably spend eternity in Hellfire. The title comes from the father's hidden vice of playing golf in a cemetery adjacent to his church.


Then ... the second show ...


HONOR AND FIDELITY, about a woman’s journey to find her cultural identity by unraveling the history of her family's past==>B


I wanted to like this a lot more and to give it a higher grade but in retrospect I found the story line to be difficult to follow and the characters hard to differentiate in a solo performance.


It was around 10:30 when I got back to the warm and cozy confines of PHC. It was bitterly cold and very unpleasant during the short walk from The Port Authority Bus Terminal to my apartment building.


Yes ... an interesting day to say the least ... a tripleheader ... a senior moment ... Hellfire and brimstone ... and snow ... and ... well ... anyway ...


Oh ... in case you are wondering ... I only wrote about the senior moment because of my responsibility as a fair and unbiased reporter. I could have covered it up and no one would have ever known ... you are soooooooooooo welcum ...


Anyway ... today’s entertainment event is ...

3:00==>THE FALL TO EARTH - “Kenny lived his life in secret. His mother and sister travel to an unfamiliar town looking for answers for his suicide. With the help of a local policewoman they uncover tragic truths about him, their family and themselves.” (Off Broadway - complimentary ticket)


This is playing at the 59E59 Theatre complex, one of my favorite venues. It has gotten very mixed reviews from the critics and from my theater-buddies. We will see ...


When the show is over I will come back to PHC and settle in to watch the 6:30pm GIANTS/NINERS game on Fox. I think this should be a nail biter right up to the final whistle. Even though The Niners are slight favorites Billi Pod believes Big Blue will win by a touchdown and advance to The Super Bowl. GO BIG BLUE!!

You know ... I have not written about the fiasco known as the Republican primary race because ... what can I say that would make any sense?


I do have to ask my Republican family members (you know who you are) and my Republican friends this simple question==>DO YOU HONESTLY BELIEVE NEWT GINGRICH IS ELECTABLE AND WILL YOU VOTE FOR HIM?


Really? Honestly???


Billi Pod

“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

ALEX-152

No comments: