Sunday, April 26, 2015

SORRY - Major Moving Decision - Keen Teens - The Visit - The Subway Series



Sunday==>Please forgive me for not posting yesterday. A lot was going down, including making a final decision on a mover for my upcoming move down to The Sunshine State in late May. I just wasn’t in the mood to sit in front of this ‘puter and write ... so ... my bad ... I’m sorry ... please forgive your favorite Big Apple blogger.

So ... why don’t we just get started with the important stuff ... starting with the mover decision ...

Yesterday afternoon I had an almost 90 minute meeting with a representative from Mayflower Movers. He showed up with a tablet and began a detailed, and I mean detailed, inventory of everything that I plan to take with me. He measured stuff and took pics etc etc, feeding all that data into his tablet, with proposed moving dates of May 20th or May 27th. That info was then downloaded to Mayflower HQs.

They then emailed me back a “firm quote.” As I had anticipated the May 20th date was much much cheaper than the 27th.

The quote was the 4th I had received from companies that had sent over reps for “walk-throughs” and ... they were all within a couple of hundred dollars of each other.

I really liked the Mayflower rep and the dealings I had with their HQs ... so ... I took a deep breath and told them that we had a deal for May 20th.

On Monday I will clear the date with our building super and then sign the contract.

Assuming that date is OK ... I will move the stuff out of PHC on May 20th but not leave the City until the afternoon of May 21st ... so ... stay tuned for more info.

I can’t tell you how happy I am to have this part of the move done. But, man ... did I feel emotionally drained when the rep finally left.

As planned, I stayed in for the remainder of the afternoon to watch game two of the YANKEES/METS Subway Series @ 4:05pm.

As you loyal and faithful readers and followers know ... on Friday night the Yankees won 6-1 on two HRs from Mark Teixeira and a stellar outing from Michael Pineda. This win broke the Mets’ 11-game winning streak.

Well, in game #2 it was all Mets as they kicked our butt 8-2 as our former ace CC Sabathia stunk, and that is putting it mildly. The Mets pitcher, Matt Harvey, basically shut down our bats. 

Oh well ...

For the evening I scored a ticket to an Off Broadway show in my ‘hood ...

8:00==>2015 KEEN TEENS FESTIVAL OF NEW YORK - “Three World Premiere one-act plays written by professional playwrights specifically for teenage performers.” (Off Broadway - full price ticket)

The three plays are: 

OLD FOLKS - “Set in a retirement home, it deals with how perceptions of the elderly are often wildly different and sometimes totally incoherent.”

THE LOST GIRL, OR FIRST CHAIR - “Perhaps the quest to become the First Chair Violinist in your High School Orchestra is worth the effort, or is it?”

THE ASTONISHING AND DANGEROUS HISTORY OF MAZEFIELD THE FROG - “A loner/outcast/unpopular girl becomes involved with a talking frog who is seeking to end the World as we know it, which may not be so bad.”

Billi Pod’s report card==>A.

This is the 5th consecutive year that I have seen this talented company perform. They bring together well-known playwrights and teenage performers.

The ensemble cast was excellent. Their talent and energy flows from the stage and totally engulfs the theatre. It is fun just being a member of the audience.

It is being performed at the Theatre Row Complex on my West 42nd Street block, has a running time of 1:30, without intermission, and the remaining performances are: Sunday @ 2:00pm & 8:00pm.

OK, my loyal and faithful readers and followers ... let’s now move on to Sunday ... starting with ...

The Broadway show ...

3:00==>THE VISIT - “Claire Zachanassian (Chita Rivera), the worlds richest woman, returns home to find the man (Roger Rees) who had captured her  heart and then cast her aside and shattered her dreams. What she does next shocks the town to its core.”
(Broadway - complimentary ticket)

This show is the final collaboration between Broadway legends John Kander and Fred Ebb, who teamed with Tony Award winner Terrence McNally. It opened on April 23rd to generally favorable reviews.

It is playing at The Lyceum Theatre on West 45th Street, has a running time of 1:35, without intermission, and is an open run.

For the evening I plan to stay in to watch ...

8:05pm==>YANKEES/METS, game three of the Subway Series from Yankee Stadium, The House That Greed And Ego Built, carried on ESPN.

On the mound for the Yankees (10-8) will be Nathan Eovaldi (1-0) vs. Jonathon Niese (2-0) for the Mets (14-4).

OK, my loyal and faithful readers and followers ... you are now up-to-date ... so ...

GO YANKEES!!!

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>1.89 miles (or, 4,138 steps)

Total mileage for 2015==>448.60 miles (average 3.90 miles per day)

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: