Thursday, April 23, 2015

Billi Pod Is 81 - Amazing Walking Stats - Living On Love - Urinetown - Fish In The Dark - The Yankees



Thursday==>Yes, my loyal and faithful readers and followers out there in the morass known as cyberspace and in the boondocks, wastelands and wilderness ... your favorite Big Apple blogger is now 81 years old. WOW!!

So ... thanks for the calls, posts, texts and emails that have been pouring in. I promise to do my best to respond in a timely fashion.

As I mentioned in a previous posting ... today will be a rather low key day (hummmmm ... can “low key” ever really be used regarding Billi Pod?) Anyway, after I make this posting I will watch the 1:08pm final game of the YANKEES/DETROIT series (details below). Then, for the evening I have given myself a ticket to a smash Broadway show (details also below). When the show is over I will come back to the apartment and have my birthday dinner, pizza and wings.

So there you are ... kinda low key ... right?

I do, however, want to share with you one rather AMAZING birthday stat ... so ... here it comes ...

From 12:01am on April 23, 2014 until midnight on April 22, 2015 Billi Pod walked ==>1,521.95 miles (average 4.17 miles per day), totaling  3,325,461 steps. All recorded on my WeightWatchers Pedometer.

The mileage for the same time-frame a year ago was==>1,333.63 miles (average 3.65 miles per day)

I think this is a major factor in keeping healthy and maintaining my weight. This morning my weight was 159 lbs, just where I wanted it to be. 

IMHO==>not bad, not bad at all.

So ... why don’t we move on to Billi Pod’s report cards on yesterday’s entertainment doubleheader ... beginning with ...

The recently opened Broadway show ...

LIVING ON LOVE, the comedy, starring soprano Renée Fleming, about an opera diva who is writing her biography, the only trouble is ... so is her larger-than-life maestro husband==>B+

I found this show to be very funny and totally enjoyable and I was impressed with Fleming’s Broadway debut.

The cast is stellar and the lead performers, Fleming and Douglas Sills, are excellent, but in my opinion the best performance comes from Jerry O’Connell as Robert, the young writer who is also totally enamored with the diva.

My comp. seat was super-excellent - row M in the very center of the orchestra. 

The audience was very much into the show.

Billi Pod says==>worth seeing with a discounted ticket.

This show just opened to very mixed reviews, is playing at the Longacre Theatre on West 48th Street, has a running time of 2:15, with intermission, and is an open run.

When the show was over I came back to the apartment, had the usual fruit and cheese plate, and then it was time to head downtown for my second entertainment event. I had planned to walk but it had begun to lightly rain so I opted to subway the two stops.

My second show was an Off Broadway musical ... the revival of ... 

URINETOWN: THE MUSICAL, set in the future where you have to pay for the privilege of peeing and there is a battle between good and an evil private corporation==>A+

OK ... I totally, and I mean TOTALLY, enjoyed/loved everything about this production by The St. Barts Players.

The cast is amazing, headed by: David Brown as Officer Lockstock, who is also the narrator; Josh Wooster as Bobby Strong, the hero; Lauren Shakra as Little Sally; and, Alyssa Somers Farlow as the frenetic Penelope Pennywise.

The ensemble plays multiple roles and make numerous quick costume changes, in addition to set changes.

The staging and choreography is spectacular.

Yes, the show is very very profane and in-your-face but this is just the kind of humor Billi Pod likes and is what attracted him to this show initially back in 1999 at the New York International Fringe Festival.

The audience was very much into the show and the house was almost sold-out.

Billi Pod says==>take a chance and see this show if you possibility can.

This revival is a production of The St. Bart’s Players, whose past works I have enjoyed, is playing at The Hudson Guild Theatre on West 26th Street, has a running time of 2:20, with intermission, and only runs through April 26th.

When the show was over the weather had cleared up so I walked back to the apartment. This resulted in a very good walking day==>5.39 miles.

Yep, it was another excellent entertainment doubleheader for you favorite blogger.

The day/evening was made even better by learning that the Yankees kicked butt again, beating the Tigers by a score of 13-4 and crushing our old nemesis David Price. It snowed off and on during the game. WTF?

Anyway ... let’s move on to the rest of today ...

This afternoon at 1:08pm is the final game of the 4-game series against the Tigers.

On the mound for the Yankees (8-7) will be Masahiro Tanaka (2-1) vs. Anibel Sanchez (1-2) for the Tigers (11-4)

Then for the evening I have given myself an expensive full-price ticket to see the Broadway show ...

7:00==>FISH IN THE DARK - “Following the death of his father, Norman Drexel (Larry David), a kvetchy urinal salesman, concocts an elaborate scheme with his housekeeper to convince his overbearing mother to move in with his brother instead of him.” (Broadway - full price ticket)

This box-office smash is written by and stars Larry David of “Curb Your Enthusiasm” fame. It is currently the highest grossing non-musical on Broadway. Last week it took in $1,180,983 and recorded 101.4% seating capacity.

It is playing at the Cort Theatre on West 48th Street, has a running time of 2:00, with intermission, and its limited run ends on June 7th.

When the show is over I will come back to the apartment and have my birthday dinner, pizza and wings.

So ... my loyal and faithful readers and followers ... there you have it and thanks again for all of the birthday wishes ... love you all ...

GO YANKEES!!

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>5.39 miles (or, 11,781 steps)

Total mileage for 2015==>438.38 miles (average 3.91 miles per day)

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: