Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Rays vs. The Fucksox and Stuff

And so it shall be after the Fucksox won a very exciting game against the LA Angels by a score of 3-2, scoring the winning run in the bottom of the 9th. The ALCS should be very interesting and I still think The Rays have a chance to go to The World Series, hopefully against The Dodgers. Time will tell.

You know, I am not certain why I felt compelled to write the “All Politicians Are Whores” post. I think it was largely due to my frustration with what is going on in politics, state and national government, and in both political parties. We are in deep trouble on the world stage, in the financial world and on the domestic scene and all we are getting from either side of the aisle is rhetoric and pontificating. I feel that Democrats and Republicans are equally at fault but we, the American Voter, are responsible for allowing our “system” to destroy itself. What do we have to do to restore faith in the Democracy our forefathers gave birth to and died to protect? I don’t know, I really don’t. I wish to hell I did, but I just don’t and I am scared. No joke.

Wow! Well, maybe on to lighter subjects, like entertainment and stuff, so ...

Saw some very good theater over the weekend starting with the Off-Broadway show “Boys Life” on Saturday night. As I have previously posted, Jason Biggs of “American Pie” fame headed the very talented cast in this comedy/drama about 3 young men making their way in the city in the mid-80s. They were friends from college days. I liked it a lot and the house was sold-out.

Also on Saturday the Gators bounced back and kicked butt, beating Arkansas 38-7. Our next game is H U G E. We play #3 ranked LSU Saturday at The Swamp with the kickoff scheduled for 8:00pm on CBS. Go Gators!

Sunday was a theater doubleheader. My first show was an Off-Broadway comedy/drama called “The Night Carter Was Bad,” which I detailed in a previous posting. It was a 90 minute show and explored the difficulty some guys have in making commitments regardless of their feelings for the other person. I liked the show. Hum ... trouble in making commitments ... where have I heard that before, I wonder?

The second show was at 7:00 in a very small theater down on 26th Street. The show, “Pick Me, Choose Me, Love Me,” was also detailed in an earlier posting. It involves a gay young man who comes to NYC to escape his angry and dominating mother in order to have a chance for a career in the theater. A group of straight friends help him make the transition from small-town USA to The Big Apple. It was very well written and performed and was only 75 minutes long.

Now about the upcoming week --

Tuesday - 7:30 New York Philharmonic Orchestra @ Avery Fisher Hall. The program is: Bartok’s Suite from The Wooden Prince; Chopin’s Piano Concerto No. 2; and, Dvorak’s Symphony No. 9, “From the New World.” This is a different series from the concert last Wednesday. I have checked and my seat is in a different row, so I doubt I will be between the two “Arm-Tugging Women.” Oh, please God, let it be so. I am looking forward to the concert because “From the New World” is one of my very favorite classical works..

Wednesday - 2:00 “A Body of Water’ - Off Broadway. “Who are we without our memories? Avis and Moss awake one morning in a house set in the forested hills above a picturesque body of water. The weathers great, the views magnificent. However, neither of them seems to know whose house this is or who they are. Will a stranger at their doorstep be able to help? A Body of Water is a haunting new drama that explores the slippery nature of reality and conviction. The cast features Michael Cristofer (Tony Award®, The Shadow Box), Christine Lahti (Emmy® and two Golden Globes® for her role in Chicago Hope) and Laura Odeh (The Rivals)” (discounted TDF ticket)

7:30 - “An Adult Evening of Shel Silverstein by Shel Silverstein” - Off-Broadway. “An Adult Evening of Shel Silverstein is a provocative, farcical, cynical, and sometimes raunchy look into human relationships and interaction through a series of vignettes created by the late great author, giving a showcase to his incredible talent and irreverent wit. The ten sketches feature a cast of unlikely and neurotic characters from a husband obsessing that his wife is a bag lady, from two ladies of the night offering a bargain, to a courtroom scene where we learn the meaning of "meat and potatoes," and finally to a blind blues man and his talking dog, leaving us with a tail of "human" nature. An Adult Evening of Shel Silverstein was first produced by the Atlantic Theatre Company in 2001, shortly after Silverstein's death. (discounted TDF ticket). Man, this should be fun.

The remainder of the week is unscheduled at the moment but I have a good idea that it will somehow get filled.

And, a week from Wednesday I head out to Paris.

Go Gators and Go Rays!!

Billi Pod
wanjr@aol.com

No comments: