Thursday, October 9, 2008

Awesome Philharmonic Concert

The New York Philharmonic concert on Tuesday night was one of the best. I am happy to report that the “Arm-Tugging Women” were nowhere to be seen, in fact, my seat was on the aisle and seated to my left was a charming woman in her 60s and we had a nice chat before the concert and at intermission. The concert was sold-out.

The concert started with Bartok’s “The Wooden Prince Suite” and it was a nice 20 minute introduction for the rest of the evening. The second number was Chopin’s Piano Concerto No. 2, performed by 23-year old Rafal Blechacz, who looked no older than 16. It was a wonderful performance and when it was over the audience gave him a standing ovation. I can’t imagine what his emotions must have been - to be performing with one of the world’s premiere orchestras before a sellout crowd in Avery Fisher Hall in New York City, and to receive a standing ovation and multiple curtain calls - OMG!!!

After intermission came the highlight of the concert, Dvorak’s Symphony No. 9, “From the New World.” As I previously posted, this is one of my favorite classical music compositions and the orchestra was at its very best from the first note to the last. I was transfixed during the entire 40 minute performance. I can’t remember a louder response from an audience as we rose to our feet clapping and yelling “Brava.” There was such a buzz as we made our way out of the hall and it seemed as if everyone was smiling, like we collectively were thinking ...”This is why I come to Avery Fisher Hall.”

It was cold and windy as I made my way down to the street level. Despite that, I just couldn’t make myself go downstairs to the subway because I didn’t want to get “From the New World” out of my head, so I started walking back to the apartment. I didn’t plug in my Nano as I usually do when walking, again, I didn’t want to erase the “New World” euphoria. Had thought I would take the subway at 53rd and 7th Avenue (about 1/2 way home) but when I got there my body/mind said “no way Jose” so I walked the rest of the way back and I am glad that I did even though it was windy and cold.

You know, it is 24 hours later and I am still smiling about the concert and how lucky I am to be living in the Greatest City in The World.

More reporting on entertainment things and stuff to come later.

Go Gators and Go Tampa Bay Rays!!

Billi Pod
wanjr@aol.com

No comments: